What is this Ric?? ID required ..

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I tried to post this picture

while the Forum was in 'maintenance mode'. According to that dealer, I must have a 350SH in Fireglo! What I don't understand is why, when given correct (and verifiable) information, people don't revise the ads accordingly (this happens on eBay all too often).

One thing: I tend to think of my triple-pickup 620 FG as a '623', in accordance to the 480/483 (double- and triple-pickup solid bodies) nomenclature.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
aristeas
Veteran RRF member

Post by aristeas »

Hi Gary, I emailed Guitar Crazy aout this and just received their reply:

Hi Guys,
How up to date is the inventory on your website? I noticed that this is still there:
Rickenbacker 1993 - 620/Suzanna Hoff Left Handed
http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/Ric620SH.htm

Are you still trying to sell this? It's been on your site for as long as I can remember. If so it could be because you've wrongly identified it. The Susanna Hoffs model is a Ric 350, not a 620. And as far as i'm aware no lefty SH's were built. What you have is a 620 lefty with an unusual pickup configuration. Regards, Lee Kear

THEIR REPLY:

Hi lee.
We have labled the 620 with a / because that is what it looks like to us and its factory.Thanks for the email Warren.

Outstanding, huh?
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

That reply is really inexcusable. They have been informed by several people here (and who knows how many others) what it really is, and yet they insist on describing it otherwise. That crosses over the line from honest mistake into fraud territory.
aristeas
Veteran RRF member

Post by aristeas »

Or determined, seriously dedicated stupidity .. that guitar's been there for well over a year. It ain't gonna sell if they carry on like that.

MEGA-STUPID!!!
ricnvolved

Post by ricnvolved »

And in THEIR case, stupidity will be their ultimate reward.
carr

Post by carr »

As I read this, they have contacted the factory. If they have then the misinformation is not their fault and they are justified in repeating what they have been told . ( Im assuming that they contacted the Ric factory and not the local engineering works). Im just wondering if they havent posted the wrong picture.

However , the castigating in the last three posts is a bit over the top and precious. Hardly worthy of this forum
carr

Post by carr »

To Gary. How about sending your pic to Guitar Crazy.... That might help them get their inventory correctly named

John
aristeas
Veteran RRF member

Post by aristeas »

Gosh, Sorry John. I hadn't realised you had been appointed arbiter of what's 'precious', 'over the top' or 'worthy'. Are you also in charge of being pompous?
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

John, I hope you're not serious. Insisting on honesty and truth in advertising is over the top and not worthy of this forum? These people insist on representing a guitar as something it is definitely not. It's not a matter of ignorance or an honest mistake because they have been informed and continue to misrepresent it.

I also found their statement preposterous ("that is what it looks like to us and its factory"). They want people to believe that they contacted Rickenbacker, and Rickenbacker told them it "looked like" a model they never made? Please! This dealer is flat out trying to cheat somebody, no way around it.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

John: I'll try e-mailing them my picture in the next few days and see what they say.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
carr

Post by carr »

In their eyes possibly " who are you?". Im not defending them. I offered another explanation for their "apparent" lapse rather than simply bagging them.
carr

Post by carr »

"John: I'll try e-mailing them my picture in the next few days and see what they say."
Gary ,
great .. a positive action . If they are genuine then they will appreciate it. If they dont then they deserve whatever is dished up and their reaction will influence where I get my next Ric( or rather where I wont get my next Ric)
aristeas
Veteran RRF member

Post by aristeas »

When I emailed Guitar Crazy I sent them the links to the relevant pages for the 350SH, and the 620 on the Rickenbacker website. If they clicked on the links they've seen the pics.

When they wrote "We have labled the 620 with a / because that is what it looks like to us and its factory" it doesn't imply they've contacted the factory, only that they claim it's in the original condition in which it left the factory. ie: unmodified. If they had contacted Rickenbacker they would undoubtedly been told what it is.

There are two possible explanations for them continuing to advertise the guitar as they currently do. (1) They are attempting a rip-off (2) They are monumentally stupid.

Good luck getting them to change the way they're advertising the guitar.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”