Rick acousting with a cutaway?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

sornord
Veteran RRF member

Rick acousting with a cutaway?

Post by sornord »

I play in a semi-acoustic group in pubs and clubs in the Frankfurt, Germany area. The reason I say semi-acoustic is that whenever a 12 is called for - and that is for 60% of our songs - I end up having to play my 660/12 through a pedal and a simulated acoustic effect or a "pickup-ed" Taylor 12 belonging to the other guitarist. The Taylor, though a nice guitar, doesn't have that nice feel that my Rick does. As I've said to my partner and others, picking up any other guitar after playing the Taylor-12 feels like playing a pencil...

I've tracked down a few - VERY, repeat VERY few - Rick acoustics online and they seem reasonably priced compared to my friend's Taylor (which was what I call 'expensive'). The problem is that I would really like a cutaway for access to the high frets, a la Ovations, Martins, et al.

The questions:

1. Is the "feel" of Rick acoustics, neck-wise, the same or similar to Rick electrics? (I've yet to EVER meet or coorespond with ANYONE who has had one in their hands.)

2. Is a cutaway dreadnought available on a custom order, and if so what price, how long to wait? Would a piezo pickup and jack be possible?

3. If a custom order was possible, would it be available with the 660 neck? Not that I wouldn't take the narrow neck but I'm just thinking, selfishly, about switching between guitars and avoiding that few minutes it takes to adjust my hands to the different neck styles between various guitar makes.

Steve Wilson
660-12 owner and fan, and unofficial promoter or Ricks in my local musician community
sornord
Veteran RRF member

Post by sornord »

Yeah, okay, "acousting" doesn't make sense, but since I've studied German for a couple of years I find my English is going to ****!
ricnvolved

Post by ricnvolved »

"Ich bin eine Rickenbacker."
philipnz

Post by philipnz »

I have just ordered a Laramie accoustic 12 string and I also have a 660/12. I recently read an owners report where he suggested the 12 string acoustic neck felt wider than the 1 5/8's listed on the Ric site. Maybe someone can clarify this
Here is one item but I think i read it in another where the writer said it was between the thickness of a 360 and a 660. I'll keep digging
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mccorp/rickrecollections4.html
shiraz
Veteran RRF member

Post by shiraz »

Steve, I've played both the dreadnaught and jumbo Ric acoustics. I was worried that they might be TOO thin at the nut. My fears were allayed completely. The Ric feel as comfortable as an old lover! I will tell you this: the Ric Comstock acoustic (maple/jumbo) completely outshone every Guild, Gibson, Martin, and Taylor in the shop.
There is no cutaway option at this point in time. A wise man once said, "there's no money past the fifth fret". I will admit though, that I venture into those high registers on my Tacoma C1C Chief acoustic sometimes...
You can opt for LR Baggs onboard electronics. There is no special order neck, finish, or anything. Sadly. They come in the cardinal Ric finishes: Mapleglo, Fireglo, and Jetglo. They had some gorgeous Blueboy acoustics at NAMM too.
Recently I ordered a Comstock in Fireglo (with top of the line Baggs preamp). I was told the waiting period would be 12 to 16 months. Well worth it. Best of luck my friend.
Cheers, Noel

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”