Post by ric_rocks »

Another look...

ric_rocks

Post by ric_rocks »

AppleGlo !?! ;)

leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

TP and the HB's have long been RIC advocates and are widely regarded with starting a reinesance of sorts with the Rick 12-string among others. These guys LOVE Rickenbackers. Good for us!!! Image

I had always thought that Mike Campbell's little Rickenbacker with the gold 'guard and nameplate was a 310V59 special order, or rather his guitar most closely resembles a 310V59(with a full-scale neck)..There was a guitar used by Maurice Gibb that is very similar to MC's in construction; he can be seen playing it live in some recent Bee Gees videos.

There is a turquoise 310V59 pictured in the Rittor book(ca.1995), but I have no idea how many were made.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Campbell's "little guitar" as shown was not, unfortunately, produced by Rickenbacker.
ric_rocks

Post by ric_rocks »

John: Actually, we had been discussing Mikes special jetglo 6 string prior to this. When you have time, please read the archive thru April 21st above and fill us in if you can remember the particulars ~thanks~

And Wow... I would have sworn that little green doodad was a ric!
wileyibex

Post by wileyibex »

I'm not suggesting anything here, just making an observation, but I think that tiny little 330-looking thing of Mike Campbell's would make a very attractive body style for a Rickenbacker electric mandolin. Might want to ditch the "Key Lime-glow" finish, though.

Wonder if RIC has ever considered producing a mando-guitar (octave 12-string)? Vox/phantom has done them, and perhaps still does (dealers???), and then there's a fellow called Terry Ousley who custom-builds mando-guitars, too. Seems like IF there exists a market for them, RIC would be the logical ones to make the instruments (I've been wanting one for some time now.)
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

It looks like Mike is playing a FG '59 - '60 335 with a Bigsby B-5 vibrato....connected to a trapeze tailpiece! What tha? Cool. I've seen that little RIC-loking mandolin on another website. Lark Street Music maybe?
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

I played one of those 12-string soprano-thingamajiggies recently. . . frankly, I'd be surprised if there's more of a market for that than there is for, say, a 4005v67 (hint hint;) Honestly, unless you are a celtic musician, how often would that type of instrument be practical? Sure, it was fun to play, but a capo and a regular 12 get you 90% of the way there.
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

wileyibex

Post by wileyibex »

How often would I use an octave-12? Dunno,
but I've heard and watched the superb Buddy Miller (who plays the stew out of his 330/12) use his mando-guitar on several numbers -- on his solo work as well as with his wife Julie and as Emmy Lou Harris' band leader -- and it's a unique sound. Try the EmmyLou Harris "Spyboy" CD and listen to Buddy lay waste to "Green Pastures" with a mando-guitar. Sheesh. He uses his Terry Ousley-built instrument quite a bit and I want to do that stuff, too.
Realistically, it's a way to get a mandolin-type sound without having to learn to play mandolin, and that would be a boon for me.
wileyibex

Post by wileyibex »

So it's (Mike Campbell's l'il bitty green guitar-like object) called a "Ramelectro."

The text says:

**RAMELECTRO, electric Octive mando/guitar, the OCTOPUSSY, a joint veture by Dominick Ramos and Larkstreet Music 8 string, basses octaved. These are brand new, and being glommed by both guitarist1s and mandolinists alike. Looking for a totally gorgeous new sound? This is it! First batch of 10 will be priced best............$895

Wotta deal, eh? Looks close enough to a shrunken Ric 330 to get somebody sued, though. I want one anyway.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

If Mike Campbell wanted to give this a whirl, I'd be up for it....(!)

http://www.rickbeat.com/modelslibrary/mando/mando.htm

I seriously doubt if it has ever been on a record, but Combo 850 can play a mean "Kentucky Waltz" on it!!! LOL

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”