The Importance of Routine Maintenance

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

The Importance of Routine Maintenance

Post by eatswodo »

I got my 650D about 18 months ago, and since then, I've used it extensively playing in our church band. Right after I got it, I changed the strings to D'Addario .010-.046, tweaked the truss rods a little and lowered the action just a tad at the bridge. The intonation seemed just fine to me, and it's stayed that way, with regular (every 6-8 weeks) string changes, ever since.

Last weekend, I changed the strings, and after I'd tuned it up, I took a squint down the neck. Hmmm - a bit more relief than I remembered. So I took the truss rod cover off, and discovered to my surprise that the treble side nut was actually loose! I snugged it up, added about 1/8th turn on both sides, and the neck was back to where I like it, with the action significantly slinkier.

After this success, I decided to check the intonation with my trusty Korg tuner. It was off. Not badly - if I listened hard, I could hear it. I took care of this - actually had to move all 6 saddles back a little.

*What* a difference! The guitar plays much more easily, and it sounds so sweet and in tune all the way up the neck - who needs Buzz Feiten? Image

Moral of the story? I'm reminded of the First Law Of Microbiology:

"Under the most carefully controlled conditions of temperature, pressure and humidity, the organism will do as it damn well pleases".

Substitute "guitar" for "organism", and check it regularly - as I found out, the changes can creep up on you without you even noticing.

Cheers,
David
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

It takes a couple of years for wood to really settle down. It will also change again if you move to a different climate. I had to readjust my truss rod at two months after initial setup on my 650D. It has held steady for the past two months. You will also need to file the ends of your frets after the fingerboard seasons some more. You can do that with a diamond coated ski hone and not harm your finish. Wood shrinks much more across the grain than it does along the grain as it dries out. When changing strings to a different gauge, it may take a couple of months for the neck to settle into the final position, so another truss rod adjustment may be in order later on. Do not be surprised if you have to regularly tighten the truss rod nuts for the next couple of years. The wood shrinkage will necessitate that. You can mark your truss rod nut to make sure it is not backing off on its own and give you a reference to your initial setting.
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

Thanks, Philip - I realize that I should have probably taken care of this earlier, and will keep a closer eye on it from now on. I'll definitely mark the truss rod nute. I'd been wondering what to use to dress the fret ends - now I just need to find a ski hone somewhere.

My other main guitar is a 40 year old Martin, which I think has pretty much settled down by now Image

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”