A round-table feedback exchange
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

My First Attempt

Post by captsandwich »

My first home recording attempt.
Drums & Bass are edited loops.
Pianos are unedited loops.
Guitars are though my multi-effects unit straight into the Mac. I used my strat for this, because my wife was working on her pc in the room & it's just quieter (acoustically) than the Ric.

www.myspace.com/captsandwich

Let me know what you think & how I can improve.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

Greg, it's very nice, clean & clear. The real biggie to improve would be to mic the amp...a direct method always leaves a sort of 'plasticy' approximate sound of a gtr (although I realise that your wife wouldn't have apreciated a mic'd amp). The other thing I would look at is the delay on the snare (when it happens in the break). It would undoubtedly sound less messy if the delay was timed to the tempo of the song...even if it was a syncopated delay.

Apart from that....great stuff!
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Thanks. I'll try fiddling with the delay. I guess I just have to calculate bpm/60 and set the rate that way, right? There may also be one where I misaligned the track with the single snare shot.
The amp thing probably won't happen (very small house), but a friend of mine has given me amp sim software that may improve the sound a little.

This is fun, and probably better for my mental health than sitting in front of the TV after work!
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

Some delays have a BPM function, where you just type in the BPM & it does it....others have a tap function, where you tap the button in time to the music & it sorts it. If not, just keep adjusting the delay time untill it's as close as you can get.

You've done well Greg, because the secret of good recording at 'home' level, is to keep things simple. The more complicated it becomes, the more outboard, processing etc you'll need. It's then that things can go horribly wrong. Start simply & get used to that, then add a little more & learn & get more gear as you go.
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Nice work, Greg. Neat and clean.... I like it! Hopefully we can catch up in Toronto when I'm there in September.... a 'live' version? Image
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

I have edited the delay track and adjusted the levels on some other tracks. Also, I posted up a new song with more lead guitar. Image

Howard, let me know when you'll be here. We can meet up for guitar shop cruising and a pint, if you like.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Arriving September 11th, departing the 14th, Greg. It looks like there might be a 'mini confluence' of sorts during my stay so stay tuned. The entry password will be "pint". Image

Aitch
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”