Horseshoe PU on the C

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Horseshoe PU on the C

Post by bottom4 »

Other than cosmetics, is there any difference between the horseshoe on the C64 from the one on the C64S? I remember reading that when Mark the MD work on PMc's bass in 76 they built a new one for him. Is the horseshoe on the C64S similar to the rebuilt one?
Are these pick ups available for after-market sales yet?
WIl it fit on my 4003?

Cheers,

Andy
beatlesgear

Post by beatlesgear »

The PU on Paul's bass been changed-out at least once since they put that second "custom" one on in '76. His bass has a regular reissue horse-shoe on it now, which is what the 4001C64S has.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Am i right in saying the C horseshoes are not the magnets as the originals were. It,s a cosmetic detail not a working function. (Correct me if I,m wrong here please..) So you can remove them and still have full output. The original cobalt magnets were inconsistant, leading to what Mark Arnquist desribed to me as "drop out"...which is one of the reasons the horseshoe was discontinued. As Nick mentioned in the other post, things can be improved, but still look the same..(headstock issue aside, which remains a matter of individual taste)...I play my 64 RM 1999 every day and therefore have a good reference point of what an original sounds and feels like. When I find a C64, I,ll compare it... As mentioned by JH and PM in the other thread, you cannot compare them to a 70,s Ric or the V63. They are totally different basses cosmetically and in working specs.
gpatt5762
Veteran RRF member

Post by gpatt5762 »

The explanation I have heard is that the 'shoe is more of a shield, probably a very effective one, and that being the case, I would think removing it would in fact change the sound, as it reflects magnetic field back onto the pickup.

Having taken delivery of my C64 in Mapleglo, I can say that its Horseshoe and the V63 model you buy from Rhoads or Pick of the Rics DO sound different. I only know that playing one and then the other right away you know you've got a different bass.
The ideal mix leaves the bass player louder than the rest of the band put together!
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

The special alloy of tungsten steel (not cobalt) hasn't been available for many years, at least not without some special order custom alloying. Beyond that, it was notorious for losing its magnetic charge over time. Anyone with an original horseshoe that has not had it recharged is not hearing the original tone or level of output.

Based upon these facts, for the reissue, we really had no choice but to use embedded Alnico magnets in conjunction with the horseshoes. The slug magnets provide essentially a permanent and standardized magnetic field while the wrap around horseshoes act as poles to properly redirect it like the originals. They will work without the horseshoes but then they do not have the same tone, as the pickup is reduced to single dimensional sensing rather than 3D as the horsehoe does. (Remember that a vibrating string has a waveform shaped like a helix, not just back and forth.) And yes, they do provide shielding as well.

Much tweaking was done as part of the C Series design to capture the original sound of a fully charged horseshoe. We actually had to invent our own special probe using a Hall effect device (no pun intended!) to understand where the fields exist and their strength.
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

That's what I've been looking for.

Are they available as an after market product yet?
Thanks JH!

Any luck on your search?
gpatt5762
Veteran RRF member

Post by gpatt5762 »

My honest thanks to JH for filling in the blanks about the whole Horseshoe story. Absolutely fascinating.

Garry
The ideal mix leaves the bass player louder than the rest of the band put together!
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

I,d also like to say thanks to JH for that information. Very interesting. My "shoes" are coming up for 40, and have never had a recharge. They still have more output than the transistional treble P/U in my 68...But now I have to find out what a full tone/output pair of "shoes" sounds like...
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

How come all the much older lapsteel pickups have stood the test of time but the bass pickups didn't? It seems this was a problem particular to the bass pickup magnets & not any of the others. Different material?
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

The lapsteel pickups have the identical problem as it was the same alloy and in some cases, the same horseshoe. They are nowhere near as powerful as when they originally left the factory.
toneman

Post by toneman »

So, my old late `40's bakalite lapsteel needs to have the magnet re-charged for it to sound like it originally did when new. Correct? Thanks John!!! I always welcome your advice and knowledge and do appreciate the fact that you so generously share it.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Recharge it and it will blow your socks off with new power and tone.

Originally they used to take the horseshoes to the power station on the corner and let them sit on the generator for awhile. Later they used an arc welder to charge them. We now use a purpose-built magnetic separator.

It's likely that we can charge them closer to the ultimate permeability of the material (or whatever they call that spec) with a modern device but eventually it will discharge through whatever the strength was in the old days.
ken_james
Veteran RRF member

Post by ken_james »

Is this for the older horseshoes only or the type my '68 4001 has as well?
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Kendall, that applies to all the old original horseshoes up to the late 60,s...Although many of these have been changed out over the years, especially with the re-issues being introduced, your 68 if it has the original "shoes" could probably take a recharge...careful with that arc welder now...
ken_james
Veteran RRF member

Post by ken_james »

I wouldn't have a clue about how to approach an arc welder with a bass pickup! Maybe someone will explain how it was done in the old power stations and then the newer method. I enjoy hearing the old stories like that, it's a shame that things have changed so much.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”