Adjusting Hi-Gain Pole Pieces

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

70ssano

Adjusting Hi-Gain Pole Pieces

Post by 70ssano »

This is my first post. I have a '97 360 MG with the stock Hi-Gain PUPs.

The problem I have always had is that the output level falls off too much on the high "E" string.

Does anyone know what the effect will be if I push the pole pieces further down into the pickup under the A-B strings?

I'm hoping it will even things out some by reducing the output on those strings.

Thanks for any advice!

John
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hi John. Welcome to this Forum where everyone is Rickcrazy like me haha.
Pushing the A and B (or did you mean G and B?)string polepieces further down into the pickup is not an option - the magnet is standing in the way so to speak. What I did some years ago to address the very same issue on an '89 360 I owned was switching the high E and the G string polepieces. It worked. However, it was a somewhat risky procedure, as pre-1990 high-gain pickups depend on the polepieces structurally and I stood a definite chance of ruining the pickup by messing with its high E polepiece.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
70ssano

Post by 70ssano »

Sergio,

Thanks for the reply. From what I could see, the outside poles, both E strings, are not sticking out of the pickup, but the poles under the A, D, G, & B strings are higher. I was hoping to level them off flush as with the other 2 poles.

Because my 360 is a 1997, i'm hoping I will be okay.

If switching the G and E works, I might give that a try.

Also, do you know if it is possible to pull out the higher poles pieces and grind a little off?

And finally, do the pole pieces get damaged or scuffed up when you remove them?

Any advice on the last question is appreciated.

Thanks!

John
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Yes, the higher set polepieces can be pulled out and re-inserted.
Since the polepieces are not exactly easy to pull out, the best way to remove them without damaging them is by removing the magnet and pushing them off the bobbin by tapping on their bottoms (I'm sure they'll love it haha!).
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Sérgio, what is a safe way to remove the magnet and what is a good kind of glue to replace it with?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

"Sérgio, what is a safe way to remove the magnet and what is a good kind of glue to replace it with?"

Yeah, I was wondering this also - I've tried to pry the ceramic magnet off a high gain but got nowhere.
rictified

Post by rictified »

In another post it says to pry it off with a pocket knife, think I'll wait to hear it from the guru himself.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Yes, use a pocket knife to remove the magnet from the bobbin. To glue it back on, I use the good old UHU glue. Sparingly that is.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

...and all the Whos in Whoville reglued their uhus with UHU glue and lived happily ever after...
What's UHU glue?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Better yet, do U UHU?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is it easy to undo UHU?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Easier than UHU might think.

But it's tough to re-do UHU.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

UHU is not that easy to undo, mind you.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

http://www.reuels.com/reuels/product20442.html

The glue sticks I'm familiar with would not hold the magnet to the coil. What are we missing?

I also tried to use a knife to remove the magnet (factory glued) and only started to distort the magnet - it never even started to come loose. Help?
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Help is on the way. A UHU glue stick ('UHU Stic') is not suitable at all to our purposes... UHU 'All Purpose Adhesive' is. Pattex is another brand that comes to my mind.
A pocket knife is fine for removing the magnet from a high-gain pickup, believe me. Just be careful not to cut through the magnet or your fingers...

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”