Bare-metal Model 59 (?) -- seeking advice

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mwnovak

Bare-metal Model 59 (?) -- seeking advice

Post by mwnovak »

Hi folks. I've recently gotten an itch to explore lap steel, and I've been looking for something inexpensive, reliable, and immanently "playable." While I've considered a basic Morrell, getting an old Rickenbacker seems a lot more interesting.

I found what I _think_ is a Model 59 for $350 online at Phil's Guitars:

http://www.philsguitars.com/laps.html
http://www.philsguitars.com/images/more36/IMG_0764.jpg

This looks like a solid "players" instrument at a reasonable price. However, I have a few questions for the knowledgeable folks at these forums.

1) The finish on the guitar has been stripped down to the bare metal. Does anyone know whether the body is steel or some other material? While I love the aesthetic, I'm wondering if I should be concerned about rust/corrosion of the unprotected metal?

2) As this is (presumably) a pre-war model dated to the 1930's, I'm assuming that the "horseshoe" magnets are about shot... should I be concerned about this? or, should I still expect the sweet tone that everyone associates with the older 1.5" horseshoe?

3) Does the price seem reasonable?

Whether in response to my questions or "out of the blue," any feedback or opinions about this instrument are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--MW
mwnovak

Post by mwnovak »

After making my post last night, I discovered that it's considered a faux pas to ask for or post opinions about instruments that are currently for sale online. That makes sense, and I want to apologize for my goof: I hadn't meant to tread on ethically-unstable ground.

That being said, I just got off the phone with Phil at philsguitars.com, and the bare-metal Model 59 pictured above has already been sold to some lucky gentleman in Hawaii. Good for him; too bad for me. Image

However, the time I spent researching these pre-war metal-body Ricks has cemented my desire to find one at a reasonable price. If anyone has one for sale or has a lead for me, I've started a "wanted to buy" post in the appropriate forum here: ../655/97478.html"#EECD9C">
matz

Post by matz »

Matt, I don't want to sound like a know-all, but that guitar was not such a great buy. One thing to remember is that they always look better in photographs. If you want a student model that looks nice consider the Oahu Tonemaster, they turn up for that kind of money in nice condition and can sound great through the right amp. Then again, there are some post war Rics that still go 7-800. Rick Aiello of the SGF believes the metal in some magnets to be superior to pre-war models. Its all about research. Aloha, David.
Australian citizen, resident alien.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Matt,
I agree with Matz. That Model 59 was no bargain at that price. I like the sound of all the prewar Ricks metal and Bakelite more than the postwar models. I have a prewar Silver Hawaiian, two Model 59s and a Model G (the postwar Silver Hawaiian). I bought a ca)1948 NS model about 5 years ago for $250 and promptly sold it for $375, because I didn't like the sound at all.
The postwar models have a thinner more treble boosted sound to my ear.
Again, I agree with Matz. The wooden body Oahu Tonemaster (only the natural wood finish models not the perloid covered ones) is a great instrument to play and nice to look at as well.
If you're very attracted to the Rick 59, they frequently come up on Ebay in much better shape than the one on Phil's site and can usually be had for around $500.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”