Scimitar shaped soundholes in Short Scale 325

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

anonymous

Scimitar shaped soundholes in Short Scale 325

Post by anonymous »

Glen: Do we know of any 325 Capris, that were not transitional, and crafted with scimitar shaped soundholes? There was quite a range of features in the early models so it may be that some were produced with the "slash" hole. I am aware of the slash hole in the full-scale model from the photo I see on your site.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

An interesting question Peter - and one that I've gived a bit of though to. It really introduces the question - why did Ric use 'f' holes on 310-325's instead of their typical 'Scimitar'. Someone may correct me on this point but it seems to me that Ric's first use of the 'f hole was on the shortscale capris. Looking at that full scale-neck natural finish capri from '57 on my transistional page may give a hint. First point is that it's actually a longbody capri - not 330 sized, second point is that the scimitar hole is not real, it's painted on. Perhaps as a visual trial. For me the trial was a failure - it looks too big on that body. Now imagine it on a standard small 325 body. Ric obviously wanted to go with soundholes on the shortscale capris, but that's a whole discussion in itself. The solution was a more compact and conventional form - the 'f' shape, and so the 325 with 2 o'clock 'f' hole was born. Later on Rose Morris took a liking to that form and specified it for all their export guitars - and so we now have many examples of full scale Rics with 'f' holes as well.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

I've never seen a regular "scimitar" sound hole on a 325 either. But I bet that it would look great.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Bet it wouldn't John Image
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Glen: Perhaps John Hall will offer some insight here. I see from your site that there were transitional models (at least one) in which there was a scimitar sound hole. Perhaps this was the only one that the company needed to convince them to avoid the slash sound hole in the Capris line.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Yes Peter, that maple guitar is the one I refered to above. It is really a 325longbody with a full scale neck. Previously owned by the guitarist/lead singer from 'The Knack'. It has a painted on scimitar soundhole. I really can't see one of these looking right on a standard 325 body, although it is one of the early longer type scimitars. Perhaps a regular shorter one wouldn't look so overwhelming.

http://www.geocities.com/vintage325/310mglng.JPG
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

I still say that the slash soundhole would great on the 325............

:-)
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

The thought of a slash hole on a 325 makes me feel a little blue.....
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

Tee-hee...

Member #03
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

I think a slash sound-hole on a 325 would look goofy.
beatlesgear

Post by beatlesgear »

A slash sound hole on a 325 looks pretty good.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

I'm in the"a slash soundhole on a 325 looks wrong"
camp.But I'd concede that perhaps a slightly Smaller rendering of the full size 360 slash hole might not be too bad.Still, F holes are the only proper thing for that body, IMO...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As sure as well are discussing this idea, there are 325 instruments out there with a slash hole. Until someone comes forward with a legitimate photo here is a doctored one for the purposes of discussion. While the proportions aren't exactly right, I could get used to the look. Thanks for your observation Nick.

Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”