Can't get the jangle sound out of my 330/12.

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pgrayson

Can't get the jangle sound out of my 330/12.

Post by pgrayson »

I purchased a 330/12 about 2 months ago, but I'm having severe problems getting the jangly sound out of my amp, a Laney 15R valve amp. No matter what knob settings on the guitar and amp I use, it sounds terrible.

I've also tried using a Marshall compressor pedal, but the effect is negligible.

Where am I going wrong?
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Paul:
To put it plainly, the problem lies in the high-gain pickups themselves - too much wire on them. It's that simple.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

The solution would seem to be a retrofit with the vintage pickups then. Anybody needing higher gain could just get them a pedal or a little battery powered active preamp they could plug into the guitar jack. I'm glad I ordered my 650C with Vintage Pickups rather than Hi-Gains if the latter have none of the jangle sound. I expect the Hi-Gains have a very high output impedance and rolled-off highs compared to the Vintage Pickups.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

DO tell us what the 650 sounds like!
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
pgrayson

Post by pgrayson »

Thanks for that. The next issue is affording, sourcing and fitting vintage pick-ups. I'll try to visit a nearby dealer this week who may be able to help
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

I was wondering if a specific way of holding the guitar would help as well. Does the angle of the dangle affect the jingle-jangle?
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Hmmm, no need to wrangle if you had no jangle on your first sangle. *snort-snort*
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

and you guys criticize U2's lyrics ;)
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
ricnvolved

Post by ricnvolved »

I thought those WERE U2 lyrics! ~LOL~
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

One guy that's slick told me the plectrum you pick for your Rick, according to your licks, does the trick.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

That's the double truth, Ruth!
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
profjeff

Post by profjeff »

Paul:

While you're awaitng your VP retrofit, try cranking down the Hi Gains against the foam pads so they aren't so close to the strings. Roger McGuinn claims that he runs his 12 string directly to the board to get his trademark jangle (see his 12 string video). Try using the "lo" input on your LC 15R and back off the volume on your guitar a bit. Also, the 10" speaker may not be suitably voiced for the jangle (just a guess...I've never tried my 12 string through a 10" speaker, but I have run it through my 8" Champ and it sounds terrible!)

I have a couple of audio clips on my website of my hi gain equipped 12 string through a Vox AC 15. I think it approaches the classic jangle, but doesn't quite nail it.

http://home.attbi.com/~drjeffreyb
jazzsmith

Post by jazzsmith »

Projeff - Your audio clips sound great - nice guitar collection too. I really think that Pyramid flats on a Rick 12 are essential - I just got my '67 360/12 and it came with D'Adddario's which sounded fine and played well, but I just put the Pyramid flats on and now it sounds like a Rick 12 should. I have Pyramid rounds on all my other guitars including acoustics and I prefer them to the flats on 6 strings. But on Rick 12 's , as Pete Townsend says, "Ya gotta have tapewounds".
jazzsmith

Post by jazzsmith »

Oh also... I agree that I don't like the 12 so much through my Champ, but I love it through a '58 Gibson GA-5 "Skylark" (8" Jensen). Its a little brighter without being brittle.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Paul,
I had a 1992 360/12 MG with high gains and was able to replicate the "Feel A Hole Lot Better" Byrds 12-string sound with my 1968 Fender Twin Reverb (with factory D120F JBLs) or 1969 Fender Dual Showman Reverb (with factory D130F JBLs). I was NOT able to get the same jingle-jangle out of my 1995 Vox AC-30TBX Limited Edition (blue Bulldogs) and 1968 Fender Bandmaster (through a Marshall 1936 2x12 Celestion cabinet).

I deduced that this was due mainly to the lack of a Middle tone control on the Vox and Bandmaster, a control that both the TR and DSR have (I have found this to be true also of my 1960s Sunn Sentura II with factory D130 JBLs - it lacks a middle control, too). When I fade out that Middle control, it takes the jingle-jangle out of any Rickenbacker plugged into it, even those with toasters.

If you can find a shop near you that has one of the vintage, or even reissue, Fenders with the Middle control, try playing your guitar through one and see whether that makes a difference with your sound.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”