Marketing of "In The Beginning" versus "One"

The history and music of the Fab Four
Me

Post by Me »

leftybass: I agree, listening to both "One" and "In The Beginning" the songs still sound fresh and very well recorded. In fact, I often wondered why other artists from that era don't sound as clear. I can't tell you how many times I've heard artists from the 60's that just sound old, scratchy and dated, even after being remastered and it just turns me off to their music (I think Hendrix is the best example I could think of there). If the Beatles sounded so clear, even on "In The Beginning", why couldn't the other bands of that era and later do it?

Me

http://www.mp3.com/tonalfusion
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

It may have had a great deal to do with the atmosphere of the recording industry at the time, meaning the practices and equipment used by EMI at that particular moment...It also may come down to the perception of one's ear, meaning George Martin and The Beatles themselves and probably people like Geoff Emerick and Norman Smith earlier on...Simply put, WHAT a combination of ears and talent and knowhow. Brian Wilson may have been the only other one at the time---as time went on, the ARTIST gained more control in the studio and stuff started to happen. The Beatles in retrospect did not use as many session players as the Beach Boys did but on both sides the 'more more more' attitude was prevalent.
Matt_Bassett

Post by Matt_Bassett »

It never ceases to amaze me how The Beatles' music and success has sustained through the years. Like like no other popular artists they have overcome socioeconomic and cultural obstacles of social strata, especially despite the extremely volatile nature of popular music in different cultures. Leftybass makes a good point. Without doubt I believe that chemistry/symmetry did exist among all those that contributed to the "Beatle experience" including Norman Smith, Geoff Emerick, Eddie Kramer, Ken Scott, Glyn Johns, Jeff Jarratt, Phil McDonald, Peter Brown, and Barry Sheffield. It was, and still is, simply magic.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Magic,yes....and I would like to say (even though we all know this) that The Beatles were also a very,very tight group that could get it done and sound great in the process, despite the limitations in the recording industry at the time-- they HAD to be a band and adapt and play together. Just had 'Revolver' out for a listen---what a collection of music, recorded on no more than two four-track tape machines. Long live the old ways!!!!!! Image

Return to “Beatles' Forum”