My dream Ric bass

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rictified

Post by rictified »

Beautiful 4005, I was just going here to alert the faithful, and I'm leaving for Perú in one month and have no money! I'm going to beg the wife today, she will look at me coldly and say "Robert you are crazy?" or maybe "¿Robert tu eres loco? Whichever language I will get the picture.
Paul I had a 75 4001 with the bass pickup 1/2 in. closer to the neck, grovers and lucite nameplate.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Wow, I thought the 1/2" spec was discontimued by '74. You've got a rare '75 for sure, Bob. Does she have checkered binding?
If yes, that would be even more fascinating!

Crazy? Not bad to be once in a while...
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Robert: I'd go along with all of the appointments you suggest except for active electronics - now that's HERESY!
Paul: Hi. I'll try the 'magic toothpaste' tomorrow. I think I'll give ALL my bass guitars the 'treatment'.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
rictified

Post by rictified »

No it didn't have checkered binding, but it was very similar to a 73. It just shows that as it says in Smith's book that there is no real transition cutoff point for early 70's basses. Sometimes when Ric ran out of new parts they would use whatever they had lying around. They must have run out of newer pickguards, nameplates and schaller keys when they made my 75, which unfortunatley I had to sell last year. I have even heard of early eighties basses with Grovers on them from the factory.
rekesbass

Post by rekesbass »

hey Jeff Ulmer,I have #7 on your list...it's a 82'4001 in that color(not the matte finish)although with age it does'nt shine as much as it used to but,it's still real pretty....I don't think I ever heard it called Canadian autumglo..
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Bob: yes, some early 80s 4001s and 4003s came with Grover tuners. I once owned a 1982 4001FG thusly appointed, and some months ago I saw a 1981 4003FG with Grovers at a local music store.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
jeff_ulmer
Intermediate Member

Post by jeff_ulmer »

Patrick, The "Canadian" designation was mine. Image
Apparently the US version had a matte finish, while the Canadian one had a gloss finish. I have only seen pictures of this finish, which looked like a honeyburst on the guitar I saw. I always get confused which was designated walnut or autumnglo, which also has several variations. A site with some definitive answers (and pics) on this would be a good thing.

Edited to say that all of the above may be entirely incorrect... clarification welcome!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”