My New 4001C64 - Questions, please

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

On my old '77 MG 4001, I remember the threaded "end" or "tip" of the screw having to be seated very precisely into a corresponding hole in the front of the bridge, in order for the "head" of the screw to seat down flush with the back face of the bridge.

Has this little niggle been taken care of since my '77 was built, or could this possibly be the culprit here?
My first bass was a Rickenbacker...
My best bass is a Rickenbacker...
My last bass may very well be a Rickenbacker
dougl

Post by dougl »

OK, looks like I got resolution... Rickenbacker customer service has reviewed and agreed to fix this under warranty,
dougl

Post by dougl »

Several asked me to post the final resolution to this problem...

1. Rickenbacker customer service agreed to fix under warranty, but they required I send the entire bass just to replace / rework the bridge assembly.

2. To avoid the risk of shipping damage, and the bass travelling across the country twice in this heat, Rick Customer Service agreed to let me purchase ($50) a new bridge (they would not honor this as a warranty repair unless I sent the bass - even though they had the warranty registration card,)

3. So I paid the $50, recently received the new bridge and all is well now. The screw holes on one side of the new bridge are significantly "countersunk" to allow the screw heads to flush flat against the bridge, thus allowing my bridge to lower and reduce string height (the original problem). This is the good news, the problem is definitely solved now.

4. Examining the old bridge, it seems that the same holes were drilled on both sides of the bridge, with no "countersink" at all on either side.

5. So, problem solved after $50, several phone calls, emails, and weeks of waiting,

My conclusion: Great bass, "ok" customer service.
ojobob2
Veteran RRF member

Post by ojobob2 »

Doug - glad to here it worked out.......but SHAME ON RICKENBACKER.......as much as i love what they make, thats poor service. Why should you pay $50 for a new part, when it was a manufacturing defect? And under warranty, and you have not voided the warranty......

its not like you had to send it back for i dunno....body cracks of something severe,,,they would only have placed a new bridge on. The fact that you were asked to return it is quite ridiculous
The email address shown is down, you can email me at septic_bullfrog@yahoo.co.uk
mortivan

Post by mortivan »

You should be asked to return the original bridge and get reimbursed the $50. The returned bridge is obvious proof of a the manufacturing defect.

You performed the warranty service for them for free.
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

I disagree. Whether it's a guitar, a car or a coffeepot, when you buy a new product with a warranty, you accept the manufacturer's terms and conditions. Don't like it? Then don't buy the product. No one's forcing you to.

Unfortunately defects in materials and workmanship sometimes do happen, even at Rickenbacker. If you want it covered under warranty, you have to send them the instrument and let them fix it. That's clearly spelled out in the warranty.

If I choose to fix a problem myself, I don't expect reimbursement.
lshaia
Veteran RRF member

Post by lshaia »

This is one of the things about RIC corporate policy that mystifies me. Sure, if you don't like the warranty, buy used or not at all, but this is the confusing part: why, if you'd rather have customers buy new products from you rather than used from E-bay, wouldn't you make it to the customer's benefit to do so? . RIC's warranty conditions are a masterly bit of lawyerly nickle-and-diming;I mean, come on, starting the warranty on the date of manufacture rather than the date of purchase? Voiding the warranty if string gauge is changed? Shipping the instrument to California for any warranty work, including minor repair work? I don't get it.
mortivan

Post by mortivan »

You can't buy a name brand computer today without being expected to replace a drive yourself in the case of a failure under warranty. Usually they'll ship you the drive along with a RMA shipping tag to send the defective one back. You have to remove and replace pretty much the same number of screws to R&R a hard drive as you do a RIC bridge ... ;-)

But seriously, I understand the point about accepting the terms of the warranty, but I see no reason why a local authorized RIC service shop couldn't have been allowed to handle this.

AND, the warranty starting on date of manufacture versus the date of sale is an abominable practice and should be illegal.
robj
Veteran RRF member

Post by robj »

I needed to have a pickup replaced (under warranty) on my 4004C and the RIC authorized dealer, who happens to have a great and very knowledgeable tech with certifications from just about any major guitar manufacturer you can name, had to ship it back to have the pickup changed out, which I of course thought was a waste of time and wasn't very happy about. He could have turned the bass around for me in less than a week but instead I had to wait well over a month.

My take on this is that RIC doesn't trust their dealers to do anything but sell their product, which I think is pretty sad.

I love my RIC basses but I am not going to be an apologist for what I see as poor customer service and don't buy off on anyone's take it our leave it attitude. RIC, like most companies do, should take stock of how they do business from time to time in an effort to insure they are meeting their customer's needs as well as their own. Anything less is plain arrogance in my opinion.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Doug,

Next time you're in southern California, you could always huck the defective bridge through the front window of RIC headquarters. =o)
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Of course RIC wants customers to buy new products from them. It's obvious to me that that's exactly what is happening.

All warranties are written by lawyers to protect the warrantor's best interest. Nothing unusual about that. The only unusual thing about the RIC warranty is that it starts on the date of manufacture. Unusual, but not unheard of. And it will never be illegal because offering a warranty at all is strictly the choice of the manufacturer.

No, RIC does not trust local authorized dealers to be authorized repair agents. Based on what I've seen and heard, I wouldn't either. There are some great repairmen out there, and some terrible hacks. Guess which are more common?
robj
Veteran RRF member

Post by robj »

It's hard for me to believe companies like Gibson and Fender hand out tech certs to every monkey's uncle who asks for one. I may be wrong but I do think these companies, in spite of their size, generally care that their customer's receive good service on products they sell and warrant. I know I have never had any problems when I've needed service on any of my non-RIC basses or amps.

In my experience with factory certified techs I haven't run into what I would call a hack, though I'm sure they exist just as they do in any profession. My guess is they are the exception and not the rule.

I would think the manufacturer has the upperhand in that they can yank a dealer's license if they aren't measuring up to requirements, which seems to me to be a good way to insure quality on the dealer's part.

To me the bottom line here is the consumer suffers because of RIC's policy on warranty repairs. In my opinion if everyone took take it or leave it as the final word on everything without complaint we'd still be living in the stoneage.

I don't think anyone here who has posted comments that reflect negatively on RIC's warranty service is being unreasonable, they just want to be able to enjoy their RIC instruments without having to worry about doing without while the instrument is shlepped back and forth to the factory, let alone the time at the factory, for seemingly minor warranty repairs. To me changing out a pickup qualifies as a minor repair whereas a physical defect like a crack in the headstock or body is major.

Does RIC care what I think? I doubt it, I'm not going to kid myself here. If by some chance they do, then maybe they will re-think their policy on minor warranty repairs.

Sorry for the long post gang.
dougl

Post by dougl »

let me be clear that I'm not trashing Rickenbacker, and I'm not all bent out of shape about this... like I said "great bass, OK customer service" (and I guess it really only cost me $35 since I saved the cost of shipping to california)

i will only say that Rickenbacker lost an easy and low cost opportunity to chalk up some goodwill and loyalty from a new customer
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Doug, I know you're not trashing Rickenbacker, I was just responding to others.

Robj, Gibson and Fender are much larger than Rickenbacker thanks to the tons of imported instruments they sell. I'm sure it's much easier for them to justify a network of techs despite the inherent problem of not being able to control what they do.

No doubt they make techs go through some qualification process, but I have heard too many horror stories and seen firsthand the results of bad service and repair jobs done by Fender, Gibson or Martin certified techs. Most smaller companies just can't or won't risk it, and I can't blame them.
webhead
Veteran RRF member

Post by webhead »

I hear all of you guys, Ric should really revamp their warranty policy... I got stuck with a bent truss rod in a 360/12v64 only to find out a month after I bought it from a GIBSON tech. I called the ever so helpful Ric reps told me that the warranty was voided because someone lifted the nameplate... What a joke! And reading from above - you get your warranty voided if you change string gauge??? I think the lawyer who wrote that is clearly not a guitar player at all. So what if Rics are leaving the factory with 10s and you play 9s. Will the string police tell you that your warranty is voided??? I don't get it?
"Take the RIC... Leave the cannoli."

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”