What are flat wound strings

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

I WAS living in Corpus Christi,Texas at the time. It's a really miserable place on the Gulf Coast. Very humid.

But Nigel, Corpus Christi is (hack, cough) the Sparkling City By The Sea! (wheeze) Image The Chamber of Commerce says so! Nothing but sandy beaches and shiny downtown buildings! Humidity? Hey, happy tourists never sweat...in the photos. Petrochemical industry? Ooh, don't mention that!
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Big g, I think the story on groundwounds is pretty much a myth that gets passed around. Just about anything you do to metal can affect it negatively if it's done wrong -- including rolling it into round or flat wire wrap. The outer wraps aren't hardened steel so they won't be annealed by grinding. I do trust stringmakers to understand their own processes.

I know several people who have used groundwounds for years without sounding harsh or having any unusual problems with string life or intonation. As always, YMMV. I know people who can kill any type of string quickly with their toxic sweat, others (like me) get long life out of most any kind.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”