Training

Putting music theory into practice
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

As for me, I started trombone in 5th grade (age 10, late 80's) and played it all through high school and college (end of the 90's). Picked up piano, guitar, and bass in high school (mid 90's) and taught myself very basic functional technique from songbooks of bands I liked, namely Genesis and REM at the time.

Got a bachelor's in math and one in music. With the music program I focused on trombone and theory/composition. I often wish I had studied accounting (my current profession) so I could demand a higher salary, but there is no point crying over spilled milk.

I still write and record and play as often as possible. But only about 20-30 people ever hear any of it. (Although a girl on my flight to NYC last weekend recognized me at baggage claim from playing at a local coffeehouse where I hosted open mic for 6 months during 2002. That was a nice overinflating ego boost!)

Also played piano/voice and bass for Howl At The Moon for about a year and a half, '04-'05. I think I learned the most about pro music and crowds there.

I was lucky enough to be playing with, thus learning alongside, the national entertainment director, who has been doing that gig for about 12 years. This guy can work a crowd like a machine. And he's not a jerk! Very rare to play with someone both talented AND cool/fun/down-to-earth.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”