Is there really a single, great set list?

Putting music theory into practice
rictified

Post by rictified »

Born to be Wild is a sure hit in a biker bar.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

another song we love to hate ... "Wonderful Tonight"
telebob

Post by telebob »

Yup, we play it. We roll our eyes and make them feel Wonderful Tonight as the alcohol consumes them and they grind each other on the dance floor while contemplating which seedy motel they'll go skulking off to later. Ah yes, mating rituals at their finest.

This moment has been brought to you by "beer!" Yes, that's right. Bringing people together since 908 B.C.
Happiness is a choice
rictified

Post by rictified »

I can play just about any of the old warhorses people always request and still even like some of them like Mustang Sally for instance (I funk it way up so that it takes on a life of it's own) or Born to Be wild although that's a little sickening, but It's wonderful tonight makes me want to vomit. I haven't played it for years thank God.
expomick
Intermediate Member

Post by expomick »

Early August 1985 in Edmonton, Alberta. We were playing in a club called "Rockers". A four night stint Wednesday through to Saturday, which went rather well. Corey Hart (!) and one of his manager's showed up for a set, but our lead singer insulted him from the stage, so he understandably left.

As we were 22 years old at that time, we thought that was great that he left.

Actually...still do.

Anyhow, there was a biker gang dubbed The Animals that attended the Saturday night show. Our band was a hybrid of 60's Rolling Stones/1984 R.E.M./Rank-and-File/early Who kinda sound.

But, we did cover "Born To Be Wild". Did it during one of the set's, and the Animals, who were rather receptive to our original music (drunk, obviously), charged onto the dance floor and danced their boots off.

So...come the end of the evening and the "inevitable" encore, we broke into "Born to Be Wild" again...and the Animals came charging onto the dance floor. I recall that it seemed like everyone else LEFT the dance floor at this point.

Burned into my memory forever, was about half-way through the song, our lead singer (I played bass - a nice black Fender Precision), elbowed me to get my attention.

In order to show their appreciation for us playing "Born To Be Wild" a second time, all the old ladies of the Animals (probably about 10 of them) had lined up along the front of the stage, and had lifted their tops to reveal their bare breasts to us.

And standing a bit behind them, were their dancing, drinking, grinning biker boyfriends...a couple of them gave us the thumbs-up sign.

Now, being 22 years old and on the road (we were from Ottawa), bare female breasts were a pleasant sight. But that wasn't my reaction at that moment; I was caught off-guard and recall that I played my bass parts rather sloppily for a few bars as I scanned the front of the stage.

Thank-you Animals.

Yup, "Born To Be Wild" works with bikers.
How much!?!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

That's a great story Mick.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Halloween gig, we left the singer backstage & came out wearing spandex & long wigs. You would think that the horn section would be the giveaway that we weren't a metal band. Launched into Born to be Wild. Scooter boys in the crowd start booing relentlessly. We are afraid and stop about a minute in, as the singer strolls onto the stage and we start our normal set. We thought it was funny, but the crowd didn't seem to know what was going on, thinking they had paid for a ska show and were getting a hard rock band.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

We play Born To Be Wild a little differently. In the middle it gets a bit 'proggy' due to me clanking along on my Rick and losing my head a bit, plus the reggae section.... Don't ask LOL!
What d'ya mean... the bass is TOO loud!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”