Is there really a single, great set list?

Putting music theory into practice
telebob

Is there really a single, great set list?

Post by telebob »

I play in a few different bands here in Connecticut and we play a variety of clubs. Every time we get our set list tweaked to where it's just right, we'll play a different club and *POOF*! we find ourselves struggling to keep the audience enthused.

I don't like picking and choosing songs at random because, in one band our keyboard player also plays guitar, and I carry 3 guitars to the gig so I have the right sounds for the material we do.

We try to structure the set list in such a way that it's good for the crowd, but also divies up the vocals and keeps guitar changes to a minimum.

Is there an answer? Is there an ultimate set list?
Happiness is a choice
jaybic

Post by jaybic »

Short answer: Yes with a however....
Long answer: No with a but....

What we do is stick to one rather long list and can substitute in and out if needed or someone in the back yells "Freebird!"
telebob

Post by telebob »

Sorry man, Freebird? On a Ric? Daaaaaaaaaaaaah! I couldn't do it. I have done Sweet Home Alabama on my 360 though. That was tough enough!

I think we probably just have to call 'em as we see 'em but I don't have to like it! ;)
Happiness is a choice
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

I don't think there's any one, good set list. besides, you want to do different songs on different nights, so you don't get bored, the audience doesn't get bored, etc.

We try to do two to three good rockers to open each set - One right after the other, with no talking to the audience in between. We try to gauge the audience's general age group. If they're older, we do older classic rock. If they're younger, we'll do newer stuff. The first set is important. If you can grab the crowd's interest within the first half of the set, they'll likely stay for two or three.
Ka is a wheel.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

The best sets are the ones that play off the crowd's energy. If they are partying, play something to keep it going. If they're not, get a party started.
wayang

Post by wayang »

Our routine is to get to the club early and sit at a table and have a beer (used to be able to have a smoke, too, but that's all over in Denver now...), and get a feel for the vibe of the room and the crowd...then the drummer (my wife) makes out the set list on bar napkins (sorry...'serviettes' for you Brits)...don't know quite how she does it, but no two nights are the same, and it always goes over well.

It's all original material, though, which means a certain percentage of the crowd is hearing it for the first time. I suppose it is a bit trickier when playing covers that everyone's familiar with...you do have to be creative with the song order in that case...

But, seriously...Freebird???...bite me.
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

freebird ... funky music white boy ... Proud Mary ... Brick House ... then smash your guitar ...
telebob

Post by telebob »

One of the bands I play with does "It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones and it always goes over great! They have a three piece horn section that really adds to the sound!
Happiness is a choice
expomick
Intermediate Member

Post by expomick »

Or...smash your guitar FIRST, thus you won't be able to play...freebird...funky music white boy...Proud Mary...Brick House...
How much!?!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Howl actually had seven specific songs to play ONLY if you got a decent money request (USD $5-20). Because someone else is going to request it twenty minutes later anyway. You don't want to "waste" Piano Man for $2.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

That's a great idea, Jason, like a piano bar guy playing the college fight songs.
You wanna hear "Sweet Home Alabama?" $20.
"Play that Funky Music?" with Feeling? $40.
Van Halen? Well, we'll do that for free. Image
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Yes, we had a lot of sneaky ways to part fools and their money. The guilt eventually got to me, I think. The college songs usually made the most money. You don't want to know how much!
rictified

Post by rictified »

Learning how to read an audience is more important than your song list, most bands I play in don't use them, we wing it. Always play your best especially if the audience is small, always be professional whether there are 4 or 400 people in the club. Try to be a part of the audience, put yourself in their place and play accordingly. Never act bored even if you are.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Clapton once played a whole guitar solo with one hand whilst he ate a bunch of grapes with the other. I was there. He was bored stiff. But it was a great performance never the less.

Understanding the threshold of tolerance of your audience is key. You would not want to play "Rawhide" or "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" in a biker bar for example, not even as a joke.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

We play Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Hendrix, Bowie... You can't really go wrong, then you can stick a few obscure numbers in. The audience are usually on your side by then, so you can get away with it. Plus we play the stuff WE like. That way we look like we're having a hell of a time...
We end with 'Born To Wild', a good showstopper...
Well we're making money anyway, so we must be doing something right!!!
What d'ya mean... the bass is TOO loud!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”