Recording Acoustic Guitars

A round-table feedback exchange
admin
Site Admin

Recording Acoustic Guitars

Post by admin »

Tony: How do you record acoustic guitars? I have been experimenting with different microphones and through acoustic amplifiers as well. I inquired about the Fishman Loudbox amplifier to see what others thought of it under a different topic, but never really received a response. On second thought, perhaps that was a response. Any light with regard to playing acoustics live or recording them would be appreciated.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

Recording acoustic gtrs is reasonably easy Peter. A large diaphragm mic placed around 8" away from the sound hole, placed neck side & pointing more to the treble side of the strings will produce a very nice acoustic gtr tone.

It is said that the ideal distance to mic any instrument, is the length of that instrument! This will enable the whole range of sounds to be captured (finger noise, key noise etc), but this is often not practicle & the ambient breathing/movement/finger noise may be just too much for a good clean recording. I often position the mic to pick up more finger noise for accordian or sax, as that can be part of the sound. You can always dual mic, but I personaly have never found this necessary.
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tony: If you were recording an acoustic with an electronic pickup, piezo or otherwise, what would you approach be?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

I can't begin to speak for Tony... but I like to do dual-tracks of active acoustics. I'll mute one track at a time until I get a nice full signal, then take both as full-range tracks and mix them later. I've found, at least with my wife's acoustics, that the top-end clarity and shimmer of the direct track and the rom sounds and ambience of the miked track mix very well; taking both also allows me to play more with mic placement, such as angling the mic toward the neck more which to my ear lends a more bottom-endy tone.

I didn't fall in love with the vocal sound (it will be redone) but this is one of my wife's tracks that I did, and it's a decent example of this technique. Click on "Spend A Little Time"...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=8660067&MyToken=0ed17f62-b88e-4bc8-a10a-fdaf5a46333e
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Bob,

A MySpace question for you. I am in the process of building my own space on that site. I uploaded some songs two days ago and they have not shown up on my site. They say they are still processing. Did I do something wrong when I uploaded do you think? Is there some trick to this that I should know? Do I have to import a player or something?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Something's not right. When I uploaded songs to my myspace page, they went through almost immediately.
Ka is a wheel.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Did you have to load a player Kris or did the player appear when your songs did?

Sorry if I appear to be hi-jacking this thread a bit Peter.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

Brian...

I sent you an email.... I hope it's some form of help!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

The player loaded automatically.
Ka is a wheel.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks guys the help is very much appreciated.

tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

Peter, I would never record an acoustic other than the mic'd way. I hear what others say, but a good large diaphragm mic is really all you need. If you use the in built pickups/bugs etc, then it really can start to sound 'plasticky' & unconvincing! I know that others will disagree, but believe me, I can hear when this technique has been used & so can many others. I'm not disagreeing with you Bob, it's horses for courses, but if the mic is right, the sound will be all you need....

I have recorded all types of acoustic gtrs & even fully acoustic albums & have never had to use on board electronics. The right mic for the right job!
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I record the 380L PZ with two channels: PZ to one, condenser mic to get string sound on another.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Tony. Your comments are appreciated.

beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

I agree that an acoustic should be miked only for recording, but I do favor the two mic approach.
Ka is a wheel.
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

Neigh! Image

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”