Changes on the Laredo

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

gstuadams

Changes on the Laredo

Post by gstuadams »

The Ric website used to describe the Laredo as coming in JG with no reference to any other color. I eventually figured out that it could come in other colors by hunting around on the web (Rhoads music has one due in in BG which sounds great). Now the website states:
"Available in standard Rickenbacker colors as well as translucent Green, Red, and Blue, all with a rich gloss clear coat. "
So perhaps this is John Hall's answer to the previous thread where many were lamenting the fact that we couldn't order a Cheyenne with chrome parts instead of gold. In another post Mr. Hall indicated that the Laredo's do receive figured maple bodies -- just that they are in line behind the Cheyennes (natural finish first, then translucent) which receive the best looking tops.

Too bad my budget doens't match my appetite for Rics.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I have a 1997 Ric poster that writes: (Laredo's) are highlighted by a rich range of colorglo finishes.
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

The tonal color, not the finish color, is the greatest feature of the Laredo. I have been playing around with my new SansAmp RBI preamp, and the sound of my Laredo straight into a high end stereo setup sounds very good even in relation to the classic amp tones that the RBI can emulate. This means you could play a Laredo straight into a good clean PA system without any kind of emulation box and get an acceptable tone.

Gordon, that should help you afford a good used Laredo. And if you already own a decent stereo system with clean speakers that can easily reach down to 40 Hz, a $300 Tech 21 SansAmp RBI will put the sound of every classic tube bass amp at your fingertips, and then some.

The color of your Laredo will then probably not seem to matter much.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I have seen pics of Laredos in Black, tan, Red, and Blue ...
jeff_ulmer
Intermediate Member

Post by jeff_ulmer »

I've seen different colors on the web too, but as Gordon said, until a little while ago the website stated it was strictly Jetglo, which is contrary to the catalogue.

Of course the website also said the 8 string Cheyenne II was coming soon. Those web guys are pretty optimistic. Image
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

The 4004L was once the Model T of basses. You could have it in any color you wanted, as long as it was Jetglo. A Cheyenne with chrome hardware is basically the same thing, so in one regard you COULD have a Laredo in color choices.

The Jetglo finish is nice, so it doesn't bother me much about the past lack of color choices. The old Laredos have different pickup locations and a slightly different sound, so the new ones in color choices are not exactly the same thing.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”