4001 - 4003 replacement bridge

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dm150

4001 - 4003 replacement bridge

Post by dm150 »

Hi. i would appreciate any comments on this bridge.
it is a one piece, cover all, replacement. it has mounting holes to match the originals.Image
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Hi David,
That's a design that makes action and intonation adjustments of the 4001/4003 much easier. Looks like a strong bridge.
It however is not aesthetically appealing enough for the die-hards to swap out the existing bridges for this.

Is it chrome/nickel plated like the stock 4001/4003 bridges?

I'd love to see the string mute device as an easy-to-put-on/off option on this bridge.

It would look better with the strings mounted through the rear and has the tail as an "arc" like the originals.

Is an 8 string version with 8 individual saddles available? If yes, I would seriously consider buying a 4003S/8 whose 4-saddle bridge keeps me away from buying one.

Just my very humble opinion.
dm150

Post by dm150 »

your comments are appreciated and noted, thank you.Image
ojobob2
Veteran RRF member

Post by ojobob2 »

Thatbridge would be great, although the shape of it is rather nasty. The way the ball ends of the strings fit into those slots........sorry but it looks ugly really
The email address shown is down, you can email me at septic_bullfrog@yahoo.co.uk
dm150

Post by dm150 »

hi owen. i am tending to agree with you on the keyhole design for string loading. a routed out area in the back for string loading and itonation would be better. thank you for your input. david
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

I agree that it isn't pretty, but the biggest question of all hasn't been raised: what about the tone? The look could be refined, but if it changes the tone, the change would also have to be viewed as positive by potential customers.
gpatt5762
Veteran RRF member

Post by gpatt5762 »

Does it cover the rout better than the, aheh-ahem, uh, Leo Quan type?

Garry
The ideal mix leaves the bass player louder than the rest of the band put together!
gpatt5762
Veteran RRF member

Post by gpatt5762 »

Post a picture of the whole body so we can judge more graciously. It may not be quite the big deal. I don't find it as ugly as some do; utilitarian-looking, perhaps…

Garry
The ideal mix leaves the bass player louder than the rest of the band put together!
gpatt5762
Veteran RRF member

Post by gpatt5762 »

The keyholes are a total non-issue.

GP
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Actually, I think it's pretty cool looking. Way better than anything I've seen up to this point for these basses. Those wanting the rear loading string design should look at the string holes on your older bridges. Some of mine are a bit chewed up aroung the hole from dragging round wound strings through them. I actually had to switch bridges between two of my basses because the small ball ends on Pyramid strings would just about pull through the holes. This bridge solves that problem. It also looks to be plenty heavy so I don't think there would be a change in sound. It's obviously easier to intonate with greater travel. I had to move the bridges on three of my basses back to get them to do so and on one I couldn't or I would have uncovered the mute routing. I wouldn't put in on a 4001CS or a '68 4001 but I'd have used it on my main player, a modified 3000. I would definitely have it triple chrome plated to match the rest of the chrome on my basses. I had to spend three or four hours modifying each of my bridges to do what this one does. Don't get me wrong, I think the old style Ricky bridge is way cool looking and an integral part of the basses styling and tone. It's lightyears ahead of the bridges on F****r and G****n's bass bridges but doesn't work as well as a lot of newer bass bridges or even the one that's on the 4004. From what JH has said here before on the subject, it's stick-in-the-mud purists who keep the old style bridge from changing with the times. I don't know what Mr.Hall has up his sleeve for the old style bridge but if it's anything like what my bridges look like now, it would be a vast improvement with only minor cosmetic change. David, please e-mail me with the info on where this comes from, it's cost, and if there is an 8-string alternative.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

This is probably the bridge I was talking about in my 4004 bridge thread earlier. I had not seen any photos before this but I do know that David was No.1 on the list to get one and I am No.2 to get one. I agree that the design does need some refining but the idea of having a bridge that is not a PITA to adjust may be worth what we have here, especially as it is basically a drop-in and the original bridge can be put back with no modifications to the instrument. I do not know any details about it's construction; I am planning on talking to the manufacturer tomorrow about it's aesthetics and whether the production version can be a little nicer looking. I do have some ideas on how it could be better now that I have seen pictures of it.
dm150

Post by dm150 »

hi ya'll. thanks for the great comments. the bridge will more than likely be made of solid brass and the chrome or black chrome plated. what you are seeing is aluminium the purpose is to COVER COMPLETELY the existing bridge area in a 1 piece, screw into the original holes, intonate, (of course now not taking 3 weeks to do) and enjoy playing your ric bass knowing that you can change string gauges, tune to bead or whatever and not have to loose sleep over it. as far as jeffs comments, this bridge has absolutely nothing to do with any earlier thread or posts. i have undertaken this task on my own with the help of a well know parts manufacturer. please send me your thoughts. most have been very helpfull. i goal is to get the cursed thing out of the dark ages.david
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

what you have there is better than putting a leo quan bridge on a Rick ... The original Ric bridge is very beautiful ... but cumbersome ... you should try to get more of the beautiful curves of the original ... those two side wings need to be cut down to allow better hand muting ... Here's what I did to my 4003s5 bridge ... removed the mute, the mute screws, and added a 1/4 pound jazz pickup ... this allows better hand muting ... I also chopped down the two little things that stuck up next to the mute adjustment screws screws ... also notice the 2 extra screws added to stop the back of the bridge from pulling up ...

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”