New Ric Opinions please?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

corey

Post by corey »

Excellent news, Melissa. You should get a few photos of all your Rics together. You've got quite an interesting collection.

The 381 works well for jazz licks too. I use mine to play along to Norah Jones.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

Ooph. . . .sounds like the Holy Grail of guitar tones in that thing - jangles AND really full sounding - congrats!
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
el_todd

Post by el_todd »

Add my name to the list seeking opinions from 381 owners when they apply them to "honky-tonk-a-billy" playing styles. I'm speaking along the lines of Hank Sr, Webb Pierce, Jimmy Bryant, Eldon Shamblin, Ashley Kingman, etc. Do 381's swing and have hillbilly "take off" power?
wileyibex

Post by wileyibex »

Well, James Burton used to play one.
There must be some "twang" in there somewhere.
gypsy_dave

Post by gypsy_dave »

Fantastic guitars that's for sure. Well done Melissa... ENJOY.
I wonder what Phillip Hart (the start of this whole thread) will plump for in the end. Hope this has been of some use Phil, I know you want solid, but doesn't this make you want to roadtest a 381 through your own amps? It could be all that you are looking for mate.
Drat I have made myself want a six string one now... if only that lottery win would hurry along.
el_todd

Post by el_todd »

Well, James Burton used to play one. There must be some "twang" in there somewhere.

He posed with and "field tested" the prototype 381. Unfortunately, Richard Smith's book doesn't reveal what Burton actually thought of the guitar. I'd like to hear from a few more 381 owners who share Melissa's opinion that a 381 can cover Gretsch/Gibson hollowbody territory. Anyone have a 381 begging for a Bigsby?
corey

Post by corey »

I don't know about Gibson guitars, but I'd definitely say the 381 can do a little Gretsch dance.
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Quote: “Nice review, Melissa. You will have to record a few sound bytes for us.”

Well, I’m not able to do sound bytes; a picture will have to suffice for now!

http://www.ancientimports.com/images/upload/meli_381_3.jpg
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

That is one beautiful guitar. I can only trust it sounds as good as it looks.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
el_todd

Post by el_todd »

Corey, thanks for the dance lesson.
corey

Post by corey »

L. T. - Hehe..no problem. For my next trick, I will now go watch "Saturday Night Fever".

Melissa - Wow, the wood grain really looks great in the sun!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”