New Ric Opinions please?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

philipnewz

New Ric Opinions please?

Post by philipnewz »

I already have a 360v64 and 660/12 that I use in my cover band. I have a 325v63 at home to satisfy my Lennon urges and have 730/12 accoustic on order. I'm not prepared to order a hollow 12 string as I havent felt totally comfortable playing the ones I have seen here. I'm thinking a power rocker Ric style. My thinking is a 660 in Burgundy or Fireglo (I love the checker binding/ full width inlays/ trapeze). Buy a humbucker and to replace the bridge toaster and have that toaster professionally installed in the middle. Would that be one kick-*** rock guitar or what? Am I mad?
360dave
Veteran RRF member

Post by 360dave »

Philip....before you install the middle toaster, find a 3 pup RIC and play it and see how you like it.
I found that the middle pup severely restricts picking action and basically is not needed anyway.
I've had 4 wives but I still have my 60' 360!
philipnewz

Post by philipnewz »

Good points David. I have 325v63 and rewired the middle pickup to the 5th knob. I actually like the tonal sounds I can achieve with the bridge and a little bit of middle. Shades of strat. Part of my rationale is the guitar will arrive here in NZ with the two toasters anyway and the chances of selling one toaster down here is slim. Why not use it like the Suzanna Hoffs model.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I love the tones provided by the presence of the third pickup on my 1997SPC/VB (no mods). I don't find it to be in the way. Now the pickguard mounting screw near the horn on my 650A is another story...
Best wishes Phil.
Cheers, Noel
Shaking the floor of Heaven
gypsy_dave

Post by gypsy_dave »

You know what REALLY rocks... a 381. It's hollow (kind of) I say kind of because the thing weighs more than a Les Paul, and is built out of such slabs of maple it rings forever. Overdrive a decent Valve head and the tones are straight from your dreams. Also it NEVER fails to get even more attention than me(?*&) at gigs, it's a rock slut of a guitar, but so beautiful at the same time.
Dave.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

David, I owned a couple of 381s (a '93 and a '94 12 string). They both weighed a ton. I have played others that seemed MUCH lighter. SDame thing with 660s. I played a couple of Mike Parks' with NICE figure in Dec. of '01. I couldn't get over their light weight. Maple seems to vary quite a bit in weight.
philipnewz

Post by philipnewz »

Yes David, I was considering a 381jk at one point. But I have a 360v64 that I absolutely love with the same sillouette as the 381. It is fantastic guitar. What I'm thinking though, is solid body rock guitar right in the face of any Gibson, Fender or PRS. This would combine the features of the SH350 with those of the 660.
corey

Post by corey »

I'd put my vote in for the 381 as well. I know you want a solid body, but compared to a 660, a 381 will get a lot more attention, due to the rarity of anyone having one.

Just order a HB1 for the bridge and that would be an axe to chop up those Fenders et al.

BTW, my 381 is one of the "very light" ones.
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Okay, you guys have got me on pins and needles now.... Just won this 381 beauty yesterday, and it's supposed to get here next week--I can't wait! And just look at that beautiful wood grain! I still can't believe it is actually mine! I'll let you know how it sounds!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=2537652330&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Okay, you guys have got me on pins and needles now.... Just won this 381 beauty yesterday, and it's supposed to get here next week--I can't wait! And just look at that beautiful wood grain! I still can't believe it is actually mine! I'll let you know how it sounds!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=2537652330&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Oops.... Didn't mean to double-post; sorry!
corey

Post by corey »

Wow, congratulations, Melissa! That is one beautiful guitar. I have found that the 381 is both a workhorse and a showpiece.
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Thanks, Corey! I'm counting the days....
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

The guitar finally came yesterday after a very agonizing wait, so here's my .02 on the 381.... It has exceeded all of my expectations! First of all in looks: the eBay photos just don't do it justice--the figuring in the maple is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous (although it does have one flaw--there is a spot on the body where it looks like they got some glue on it at the factory, it's under the clear coat, but it's minor).... And the tone is just out of this world: surprisingly aggressive, with lots of sustain. Because of the toasters I thought that it would be a real jangle-monster, and it is, but it is also so much more--it also rocks out with biting overdrive and doesn't sound muddy at all as my other hollow-bodied Rics tend to get on that type of setting. The tones I get out of it remind me of a Gretsch or hollow body Gibson (I've never played either but heard plenty of them on recordings!); it just has that HUGE, full-body type of sound. Great rockin' lead tone, too. Just for fun I played a few blues licks on it and it sounded fabulous. I think I'm in love, again. I think my other Rics are going to be quietly sitting for a while.... Time to go play!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice review, Melissa. You will have to record a few sound bytes for us.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”