Playing a 360-12 as a 6-string

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

stripey

Playing a 360-12 as a 6-string

Post by stripey »

Hello everyone,

I only came across this website yesterday, so I've spent most of my time since then reading through almost every post here - fascinating stuff and I've learnt a lot. Good to know the Rickenbacker passion lives on in so many of us.

Anyway, my question: I've had a 360-12 for about 4 years now (love it) and I've never actually restrung it. Yeah, I know, it's probably about time ;-)

Along those lines, does anyone have any feedback on how a 12-string sounds if you only string it as a standard 6-string? The reason I bought the 12-string version was because I figured it was like getting two guitars in one and that by whipping off the 6 harmony strings, hey presto! Instant 360-6!

But I've never actually tried it, so I thought I'd ask what experiences other people had had along these lines, if any. Does it affect the playing? Or the guitar? Do the unstrung heads rattle annoyingly? Or are there no problems whatsoever and I should just go ahead and do it and stop asking dumb questions? Etc?

Basically, I'm debating whether to buy a couple of new 12-string packs or add a couple of 6 string packs to the order, too. I don't know about the USA, but Ricky strings are hard to come by in the UK so it's do or die for my strings order.

TIA!
ted_williams
Veteran RRF member

Post by ted_williams »

You will need to adjust your truss rods to compensate for the reduced tension. As for head rattling, you won't know until you try.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jonathan: Welcome to The Rickenbacker Forum.

You can use your 12 string as a 6 string. It has been done before. The spacing of the 6 strings may not be exactly where you would want them but it does work OK. The machine heads will not be a significant problem.

You will likely need as truss-rod adjustment, however, as you are decreasing the tension on the neck by a considerable margin. For this reason, you may find that your neck moves in the direction toward a convex bow causing your 6 strings to buzz as they hit the frets.

If you are having difficulty getting the RIC strings, why not just pick out the gauges you need at your local music store for the time being.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”