Bridge Pickup Problem - Volume drop on E String

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I dunno... I guess they are pretty cosmetic differences... I've never had the luxury of having two early seventies basses together to compare the two types...
I believe OldLefty or Shadoan or John Williams have had the chance to do a more rigorous comparison. They are all pretty regular visitors to this site and they are some I can think of offhand who have owned bunches of Ric basses, especially old ones...
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Well, turning the E and the G polepieces on that particular version of the high-gain pickup is not entirely without risks, guys. Not to mention that they can only be raised so much before coming off their respective holes on the pickup bottom plate, and that any attempt to screw them back down can catch the coil wire and kill the pickup. Use extreme caution.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Now you tell me! I did adjust it a little, and it seemed to strengthen the sound. But I'm not ever going to adjust it again, I don't want to take ANY chances on ruining this pickup, it sounds too good!
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yeah I only turned it a little bit, less than a full turn, but it evened out the response.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

The original treble pickup (which I have put away and replaced with one of my own) on my 21 fret 4001 is just like the one depicted hereabove, except that it isn't sprayed black and the polepieces are round head screws. I have never attempted to turn these, namely the G string one which could use some adjusting. This and the fact that the pickup was not specially hot (as you probably know by now,I never remove the treble pass capacitor from Ricks) prompted me to replace it with a more effective unit of my own a few months ago.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”