Reel to Reel recorders question

A round-table feedback exchange
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Reel to Reel recorders question

Post by soundmasterg »

Hey Anthony, if one wanted to get into recording with a Reel to Reel machine to record bass and drums, and then bounce to a DAW, what are some good used reel to reels to go after if you want at least 8 tracks? Things like Otari MX-5050 Mk3 1/2" 8 track, Fostex E-16 1/2" 16 track, Otari MX-70 1 inch 16 track, Tascam ASR-8 1/2" 8 track?

I was looking on ebay and prices are all over the place for some of this stuff. Saw a NICE Studer A80 24 track 2 inch for $2700 buy it now, and someone did of course. It needed some work, but it seems like the high end stuff is coming down in price quite a bit. Do you know if parts are still available for some of these, or if certain ones are better than others?
trancedental

Post by trancedental »

I'll give a quick opinion before Tony turns up!

All of these R2R would be great IF in good working condition especially the Otari's! Make sure you can obtain the services of a local tech if needed though.

Record your band & get the benefits of tape compression on the way to digital & you can sync it up with Pro Tools like I do via MTC & have the best of tape & digital editing. Then maybe run both during the mix to desk?

Drums & Guitars/Amps usually sound good done this way.
Destroy DJ Rap & Synths / Robot Music!
briank

Post by briank »

Tape machines are CHEAP now. You can buy PRO machines, not just Fostex and Tascam, in your range. I've seen MCI and Scully 1" 8-tracks out there - the kind of stuff Beach Boys and Beatles would have used for major albums.

I bought TWO 3M 24-track machines for $1000 each. Studers are always more, but keep in mind most machines will need some work now and then, just like guitars or cars.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I ended up getting a MCI JH-16 24 track for $1285. It comes with a 16 track head stack that needs a relap, and also has the autolocator, and a reel of tape and an empty spool. The 24 track heads are supposed to be in pretty good shape still. I'm sure it will need some work, but from what I've been able to find online, these are some of the best sounding machines ever! I also found out that John Lennon used these machines for most of his solo album stuff.

Brian, any recommendations for good places to get tape, alignment tape, and parts? I bet your 3M machines sound quite nice!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

The most fun I ever had recording was when I was using my Foster Model 80 1'4" 8-track, which I still have and don't use enough. I tried to sell it in '95 after going digital but could not part with it - and I do plan to use it again in the future... I even have pancakes of 456 to use. How many people even know what that is anymore?
You can never own too many guitars!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I do.

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”