The Gawk, the Gank and the Clank...

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

brentsimons
Veteran RRF member

The Gawk, the Gank and the Clank...

Post by brentsimons »

Hi Guys,
i just wanted to tell you happy I am with my new Midnight Blue 4003.(yes another blue one!).I recently tried EQing the bass a little different than before with my Bass Pod.(after listening to some of my Smithereens CD's.If you want to hear a great Ric tone Mike Mesaros has it NAILED on every album.Check out "Blood and Roses" his tone is right on.)Before I was using a lot of highs and lows,and kind of turning down the mids on every preamp model on the Pod.It always sounded so much like a Jazz Bass to me,no gawk and gank like Geddy Lee.then it occured to me thats where the Ric sound is! In the MIDS.SO using a Gallien Krueger 800RB model with a Hartke 4x10 cabinet model and boosting the mids and turning down the highs a bit(i stil need the "clank" you know!) I have finally found the sound I want, or at least the one i can hear in my head 99% anyway, the Pod can't do EVERYTHING! I also turned up the noise gate by doing some deep editing having the Pod hooked up to my PC.Now no more hum and hiss.But on a Gallien Krueger model there wasn't as much noise as a high gain tube amp model.So yeah Im happy! Not bad after 4 different Rics in verying shades eh?
Brent
bassman_bob

Post by bassman_bob »

Brent, glad you like the GK800; thats the power for the 3 4001's I have. I use the bi-amping feature but keep the mid bass completely off, using the 2 treble controls at about 10 o'clock and the bass control at 12 o'clock. Only other variable is whether the hi Boost switch is in or out.
"I wouldn't be quite prepared for that eventuality"
rickde

Post by rickde »

Where did you buy your new bass and how much did it run you?
dano

Post by dano »

"the Pod can't do EVERYTHING!"

I couldn't agree more! I own a Pod and it's awesome for recording. Playing with it live is a whole new ballgame. Deep editing is the key, as you have discovered! The presets are worthless. But all in all, I like the POD!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”