Type of wire needed for input jack

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Type of wire needed for input jack

Post by scoobster28 »

Don: I have a problem with my Fender Telecaster and need your help. The input jack had been acting weird and cutting out every now and again, and just last night I unscrewed it and saw that one wire contact had come loose. By playing with it, it was making contact, but whenever the cord was bumpted it cut out. Ahh, the problem.

Should have been an easy fix to solder it back on, but the wire looked shot anyway. It has two wires total, with a central one and then one on the OUTSIDE of it surrounding it like a donut. I thought that this was odd. My question is this: can I use regular dual wire, like speaker wire, to connect the input jack to the volume pot or do I need to use this special wire? Also, is that wire designed to prevent feedback or something?
Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
"Here he is, come to pay homage to the Rickenbacker display!" (Said to me by owner Bruce at the "Great House of Guitars" in Rochester, NY)
dougp
Veteran RRF member

Post by dougp »

Ben - what you describe is a coaxial cable (commonly used for high-frequency signals like video, since the outer wire acts as a shield from RF interference). You can use any wire to connect the jack to the volume pot, but unless the guitar's body cavity is shielded, I'd recommend using coax for the aforementioned reason of superior RF rejection. If you use coaxial, be sure to use the inner conductor as the "signal" wire, and the outer shield conductor as the "ground" wire. I hope this helps ...
My basses are Rickenbackers. My synthesizers and recording gear are analog.
360dave
Veteran RRF member

Post by 360dave »

Benjamin & Doug....it really is shielded wire, not coax. However, coax would be better for this use. Ben, go to any electronic store and ask for RG-174. This is a small diameter coax about 1/8" in diameter. Wire it in the same way as whatever you take out.
I've had 4 wives but I still have my 60' 360!
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Thank you for your help. I will do just that.
"Here he is, come to pay homage to the Rickenbacker display!" (Said to me by owner Bruce at the "Great House of Guitars" in Rochester, NY)
toneman

Post by toneman »

What they said. Actually you can buy either the same stuff like Fender uses(push-back cloth wire) or the shielded stuff like Gibson uses. both arer available from Allparts or Stew-Mac. but.. if you have a good electronics supply store near you then get some "one conductor w/shield" type wire. You'll only need a few inches but I'm sure they sell it either by the foot or in a small spool. There are many good brands of wire these days. Hell, you can even use the George L's stuff like alot of people use for cables.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”