Vox Beatle Amps

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Vox Beatle Amps

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Does anyone know much about these Vox "Beatle" amp heads? If I scored it for $700 or less and it was in good shape, would it be worthwhile?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/255314828.html

Thanks
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
sharkboy

Post by sharkboy »

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/amp/beat.html there's some about them.

I can't tell you if it is a good deal for a player, but it might be for a collector. According to this link, these had FETs instead of tubes, but I haven't found a schematic for one online, though there is at least one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOX-V1143-BEATLE-SERVICE-PARTS-SCHEMATIC_W0QQitemZ220049296771QQcmdZViewItem
"rubber heads don't dent easily"
rictified

Post by rictified »

I used one of those years ago, belonged to a guitar player I knew, Vox Super Beatle, it's a 120 watt SS head, very clean sound especially with the original cabs which were a 4 x 12 with a little horn in them. I have no idea what one would be worth though. They had a good sound for a bass with the original cab, also sounded good with an SVT cab, were very clean for a guitar, they also have a built in fuzz and an E tone for tuning.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I think Tom Petty's early stuff was recorded on these amps too. They CAN sound good.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Re: Vox Beatle Amps

Post by kennyhowes »

Bringing back old thread!

Who else here is a Super Beatle fan?!
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Mine.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

That's awesome.

I've had a couple of them, but currently without. I need another amp like a hole in the head but I think I'm getting the itch for one again.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Ronn, you'd know, does the "Bass" channel work for bass? I know it's a dumb question, but someone didn't know what the "Bass" channel was for and I believed it was bass guitar. That and Macca and Ron Blair plugged their basses into that channel.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

kennyhowes wrote: I need another amp like a hole in the head, but I think I'm getting the itch for one again.
Kenny, weren't you also itching around with the possibility of a Red AC15c limited edition model, to match your Red AC30 ??

Are you using a Vox amp on your upcoming East Coast tour ?
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

JakeK wrote:Ronn, you'd know, does the "Bass" channel work for bass? I know it's a dumb question, but someone didn't know what the "Bass" channel was for and I believed it was bass guitar. That and Macca and Ron Blair plugged their basses into that channel.
Yes it does, but it CAN be a bit limited depending on your tonal needs. The channel only has Volume and Tone-X, which is a very powerful filter, super bassy at one end and super trebly at the other. I always plug a second guitar cable into the second input on that channel and plug the other end into one of the guitar channels(bridging), and set my low-end tone with the Bass channel and add however much treble I want with the other channel. This also allows you to access the effects(Tremelo,etc.) which are not available on the Bass channel.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

8mileshigher wrote:
kennyhowes wrote: I need another amp like a hole in the head, but I think I'm getting the itch for one again.
Kenny, weren't you also itching around with the possibility of a Red AC15c limited edition model, to match your Red AC30 ??

Are you using a Vox amp on your upcoming East Coast tour ?
The red AC15s haven't hit stores yet, but at a grand I have to hold off.

Using my British AC15TBX on the tour, and possibly my WEM Dominator too.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”