Binding 1990 Rick 360-12v64 is cracking. HELP!

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

fatrat

Binding 1990 Rick 360-12v64 is cracking. HELP!

Post by fatrat »

I just bought a Rick 360 and the binding has little small cracks...
I have had old Gretsches with this problem but I didnt think Ricks had this problem....
I thought when i first bought it that they were just finish checks, but no, they're cracks, is there anything I can do to keep it from getting worse or fix it....
should I just leave it alone and hope for the best until it falls off???
So Sad, FATRAT
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I'd ask the factory

http://www.rickenbacker.com

get the official word

it will take some doing to fix it and you can bet the total down time is about 3 to 4 weeks at least ,they are maxed out on production and they are starting new product ,so it could be longer .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

If it is under warranty, you'll be in good shape. If it is used, leave it alone. I've heard of the 381 binding going quickly, due to the heavy top and back adding stress to that joint. But it has been a long while since I've heard about a 360 having problems like this.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I've encountered this recently .And have a possible theory.

The method of installing binding was (years ago and probably still is )using acetone to melt the plastic and then tape the wet gooey strips to the bodies .that is an oversimplified version of it ...but that is the general idea.

My theory is that with EPA regulations on solvents ,perhaps they cracked down on this method and an alternative method is in use.

As many companies are using an ABS type product ,perhaps switching to a PVC glue has caused this shrinkage/craking factor.

Both methods of 'glues' work ...just the outcome .
I'd love to know what Guild uses ...I does not work well on the neck bindings ,never has.Of all the USA made guitars ,they have a reputation for the neck binding coming loose .Not the body,just the neck .Figure that one out !

Ricks are really solid ,you very rarely see loose bindings on instruments ...maybe old ons that have taken some abuse ...but thats it .

This was an ionteresting group at the Kilson plant in the early 1970's ,no way could you do this job and smoke ciggies ....but the guys would sit with a butt in their mouths waiting for the moment to go light one up .Ah we thought we would live forever ...YOUTH!!!
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”