Horseshoe/Highgain Hybrid

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rictified

Post by rictified »

Paul,
why don't you try to find a 4003 or 4001 Jetglo with black trim? Those are really nice looking. They are hard to find though. but they'v been making them since at least 1975. There was a 75 in a Music store here in Boston a few years ago, the old ones have chrome trim instead of black.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Owen,
I agree with you that all RIC basses look great out of the factory. However, I tend to enjoy a little bit of "personal touch" to my babies.

Bob,
By "trim", did you mean A) binding; B)TRC and pickguard; C) metal parts, or any comibination of the three?
My Shadow is literally all black except the bridge and checkered binding. I honestly wish to have a "Gothic Babe" like I described above as my second Jetglo 4001/4003.
In fact, upon my inquiry, Mike Parks said he could get me a new 4003 JG with black TRC and pickguard for around $1000. And I have a toaster that can be put on (Nothing he could do with getting a new horseshoe surrround though)....I'm pretty tempted... Might pull the plug for my next birthday haha!
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

And Bob,
If I remember correctly, you're heading for Peru in a couple of days. I wish you BON VOYAGE.

So, how many of your RIC basses will be with you there in Peru?
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yes, Tuesday Paul, thank you, I'll be bringing my 79 4001MG, and one more, probably a 4003.
I meant black trim, all the rest are add ons. I personally don't like black TRC's and pick guards with out the black trim, there was one on Ebay a few weeks ago, a 4001. I don't know if they ever did that at the factory. The white trim always makes it look like a home made job to me, of course that may be what you want, in that case I will respectfully shut my mouth!
Yeah, I gotta ship my two small Ampegs too, I wish I could bring my SVT's or at least one of my heads, The SVT head sounds great through the two Ampeg 15's, they are 4 ohms each too, so I get full power.
Oh by the way Paul, thanks for recommending the Ampeg book, it was great, I have one of those handmade St.Louis Music SVT heads, a 1987 #413, and it sounds great, (of course my 70's one is cooler and matches the speakers and has a lot more gain with the 12DW7's in it) but it is made like a tank like most Ampegs I've owned and it sounds like an SVT most importantly. I've gotten compliments on both of them with Ric's. Nothing like a Ric through an SVT.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

"Nothing like a Ric through an SVT. "

Yes I believe. I sure wish to get me an SVT Classic+810 cab someday, in Diamond Blue checkerboard vinyl, if they accept an order like that!
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

Happy Trails Bob! Check in occasionally!

Cheers!

Andy
rictified

Post by rictified »

Oh don't worry, I have an internet cafe right down the street in Lima, that is where I found the Ric Forum. And best of all, my wife can't yell: Hurry up Robert! when I am on and distract me!
You're not ready yet??
Yes Dear! coming. What a coincidence, lol
I was looking at the Ampeg web site ther other day, and supposedly you can get SVT's in the old blue tolex. I really like that new tube B-15XT? or what ever it is, too bad it costs as much as it does. I tried one a few years ago and it did sound great, it was a factory second (had a dent in the tube grill) and I could have gotten it for $800.00, what a dope! They retail for over $2000.00 although I was quoted something like $1200.00 to $1500.00 at the local GC a few years ago. you can even get an extension speaker for them now.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

You mean this gorgeous thing?

Ampeg B15R. One of my dream amps. Been on my wishlist for quite a while. Ahh, am I greedy to want so much...I heard that the B15 series bass amps made for excellent recording amps in the '70s and '80s.
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

Hey Bob, if you don't mind me asking - what are you upto in Peru?

cheers,

Andy

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”