Phantom Guitars -have a look

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

longhouse
Advanced Member

Phantom Guitars -have a look

Post by longhouse »

http://www.phantomguitars.com

I have had a long obsession with these guitars. Perceiving them to be a shade better than the modern Vox guitars and more sturdy than vintage models, I have yet to cross the line to purchase one. Being utterly dissatisfied with nearly all my non-Rickenbacker guitars (Dano Longhorn excepted!), I am leary of new guitars 'especially ones I cannot play before I buy. The only drawback I can see with the Phantom guitars is that, and I may be wrong, the necks must be removed to ajust the truss rods. In my everchanging state of humidity (Kentucky), that could be grievous. Nonetheless, my bandmate is buying my Tele Custom (what a mistake that guitar was) and I am considering turning the shekels from the sale into a Phantom Guitarworks hollowbody Teardrop Twelve. They are gorgeous and I need an electric 12 -having sold my stiff 340 MB. What do you think?
Cheers, Noel
Shaking the floor of Heaven
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

I've used Phantom basses for a few years now. I like 'em. I got my Phantom BW(Bill Wyman)Hollowbody Teardrop Bass about 4 years ago. It's white with white binding. Pickups and knobs are white too so the chrome looks real nice.
A couple years ago I had them make me a custom bass. A Phantom model with 3 pickups, 6 position selector, and a couple other things. It's NICE, and has a sound like no other bass.
Our rythym guitarist has the Brian Jones Teardrop guitar.
I just got an email from PGW yesterday saying they had the strings I like in stock again. Nice people.

www.eggmen.com
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
rictified

Post by rictified »

Wow, you guys have some nice stuff! How do those Phantoms play and sound? What year is the 4001S?
wileyibex

Post by wileyibex »

Are Phantom guitars still around?
I had heard some rumors that they might be past-tense; and since there are no dealers, it's rather a hard thing to verify.

I could get interested in a mando guitar, and for only $599, it's almost worth taking a chance on one...
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Paul, yep, still around. Got an email today from Jack(owner of PGW)about adding my band to their endorser list. I have a mando-guitar from Hammertone(Canada). They are very cool and a lot of fun. It's very similar to the one made by Phantom as they are both copies of the '60s original by Vox.

Bob, the Eggmen website is being revised and a LOT more instruments are to be added. Our shows are a travelling guitar show, luckily we have a guy who takes care of them. The Phantom basses can sound similar to a Hofner with the treble rolled off, but can also get that cool '60s "pick click" sound with some palm-muting. The 4001S is an '80.

www.eggmen.com
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Ronn, ever play further south than San Marcos?
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

We've played Corpus Christi a few times. Farthest away gig was Salt Lake City. Where are you?

www.eggmen.com
rictified

Post by rictified »

I like that "pick Click" sound.
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Ronn, I'm in Guadalupe County, about 20 miles away from Cheatham Street Warehouse in San Marcos.

Didn't you say you were originally from Corpus? Oh yes, the "Sparkling City By The Sea" (hack! cough!). Image
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Dave, you forgot "YAWN". Corpus is VERY boring.

Also just found out my band's listed on the Phantom Guitars "Endorsers" list on their website.

www.eggmen.com
ricnvolved

Post by ricnvolved »

Noel-- Go for it man! Like you, I've had a longtime fascination with those Vox teardrop guitars from being about the biggest Brian Jones fan in the world. I have this incredible picture book on The Rolling Stones from their early days. There's a pic in there of Keith playing this stunning Vox teardrop guitar with a Bigsby; it's even better looking than the one Brian played.

I've thought about buying one of the Phantomworks Brian Jones guitars but could never find out if it was a good quality instrument. If you get one, be sure to give us a report.
bassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by bassman »

Like you guys, I love teardrop guitars, and basses in particular. My very first bass was a teardrop that my mom bought for me back in 66. I still have that bass. I also have a 67 Vox Constellation IV that I love to play. It's such a great bass and a lot of fun.
I recently chatted with Jack at Phantom Guitars to see if the backpad he offers would fit on my Constellation. He was great, providing me with the information that I needed and a product that fit perfectly.
I would really like to buy one of his Semi-Acoustic teardrop twelve string guitars, but never having played or held or heard one, i'm a bit hesitent to buy one.
What I really wish is that Jack would make custom configuration Phantom guitars and basses available. Offer more of a selection of pickups, and custom finishes.
I think that would motivate me to buy a Phantom.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I ordered a Phantom Hollowbody Teardrop twelve-string just yesterday. Jack was great to work with. Despite the somewhat limited color options, I am anxious to get my new guitar.

I, after a long inward struggle, opted for the bright white. It has a yellowed lacquer finish on the neck and yellowed binding, so the white should stand out. It ships today.

I'll let you know how it plays and sounds.

cheers, Noel
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Got it!
Review and photo to follow in near future.

nOel
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I wanted to post a better picture, but in my haste here it is...
http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/33/33903/pages/385418/phantomteardrop12.jpg
Minus a few tiny imperfections, this is a great guitar. I've had a fair amount of time to play it and get to know it now. The Kent Armstrong single coils sound great- more Rickenbacker-y than Fender-y, but not really either of those. The 5-way switch covers a lot of tones and there is no mud or murk at all on the neck pickup. The balance of the guitar is surprisingly good.
I will have it set-up at my longtime purveyor of instruments http://www.willcuttguitars.com in the next week or two (adding a bit of shielding foil too).
I'm thrilled to own this guitar. It plays with buttery ease. It's already yielded a few new songs. Cheers, Noel

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”