New pickups from Sérgio

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jeffmyers

New pickups from Sérgio

Post by jeffmyers »

Hello,
I have been lurking on this board for a few weeks and decided to jump in and say hello and thanks to Sergio for a great set of pickups. I had a bad neck pickup in my '76 4001 and had searched all over the net and locally to find a replacement without any luck. I ran across this board and the comments from Sergio and decided to give it a try.

A few days ago I received my pickups and this weekend I installed them. Man they sound great, I forgot just how good this old bass was. It now has the true Rickenbacker sound. I took some pictures of the bass and the new pickups and posted them to the web.

http://www.jeffmyers.com/rick

I also made a sound clip where I put the tone knobs at mid position and the volume all the way for both pickups. I put the switch in treble position and played a riff, moved to bass position and played the same riff and then to the mid position and played again. Keep in mind I am not a bass player so please ignore the flubs.

Thanks,
Jeff Myers
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Sounds and looks good Jeff! Nice look to them. I'm getting some pickps myself from Sergio very soon.

Cole
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Welcome to the forum, Jeff. Glad those pickups are working out for you.
Ka is a wheel.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Many thanks, Jeff.
Cole: yes, very soon. Just waiting for those d****d bar magnets.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

No problem Sergio. I'm not going anywhere.

Cole
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

With my pickups you will. ;-)
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Hey Hey!!
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Sergio, I received the pickup you sent as a bonus for that "Spot the Faker" contest in another thread, though I haven't hooked it up yet, I appreciate you sending it to me and it looks fantastic! You are a kind man, sir! Thank you!
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Wait till you hear it, Steve.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

You're welcome, Steve. The pickup emulates an early '70s "screw top" high gain. It has good output all right, but don't expect it to knock down the walls hehe.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”