Bridge without mutes...

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jocke

Bridge without mutes...

Post by jocke »

I´d like to have a bridge on my 4001v63 that would alow me to damp the strings with my right hand palm (while using a pick)without the mute thing on the tailpiece in the way. More like a F***er type bridge.
And I´d also like it to be reversable.
Would it be a good idea to buy a used Rick bridge and cut those things over the mute off?
Would probably look strange but I really miss being able to play that way as Im used to on other basses.

I also saw a thread a while ago about someone making an easier to adjust bridge, but I cant seem to find it. What´s up with that. Im probably blind. :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have been having discussions with Dave Borisoff at Hipshot. He actually made a prototype bridge but it needs refining. Unfortunately he has been pretty lame about getting the project going, he keeps putting me off every time I call him about the status of the Rick bridge. This has been going on now for several months! It sure would be nice if somebody actually put his integrity where his mouth was.

No offense to RIC but this seems to be the business model of the 21st Century.
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Whoa there! There's only a very short list of companies in the MI industry who have been exceptionally responsive to bassists' needs, but Hipshot is definitely on that list.

Are you paying him to do prototype work for you? If so, you have a right to expect delivery when promised.

If not, consider that he has manufacturers, retailers and individuals waiting to buy his existing products which fit a wide variety of instruments. Do you really expect him to put that aside to do unpaid prototype work on a specialty product with a tiny potential market?
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

That's one of the reasons I like the 4003s5 basses so much ... the bridge allow easier hand muting ... then I modify them a little further ... I remove the mute and screws and even sometimes cut down those thing that stick up around the mute ... oh ya I put a pickup in there too ...

The Ric bridge is so beautiful and sounds good but it is damn cumbersome and it has obsolete features ...

playing with a pick and hand muting is a real plus ...

jocke

Post by jocke »

That looks like a well done mod! Maybe I should look for a used bridge as I dont want to mess up my original.
Looks cool with the added pickup too. How does it sound? Do you use it a lot?

A Hipshot made bridge would be great. Their products are superb. Im keeping my fingers crossed.
mortivan

Post by mortivan »

Looks good Jeff! Does it have as much of a treble kick as I'm thinking it would?
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Actually I wire the jazz bass mute slot pickup in with the neck pickup volume control and usually run the volume at 7 to 9 and I run the bridge pickup at 10 ... it does improve the tone but it doesn't cause a major change ... it does add a little edge to the treble ... to make it really biting wire it with 3 volume controls and 1 master tone control ... I wasn't brave enough to change out my electronics that much ...

The s5 bridge already has a lot of the structure above the mute already removed .. but you could use a dremmel tool to cut one down like that ...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Dave actually started the project before I had first spoken to him about it, the first prototype was to go to somebody else. He never asked for money up front but did quote me a price for the second one he was to build. I am being patient as I know he has much product to make for existing customers (I have 24 of his tuners and two of his bridges on instruments of mine). The beef I have is that he said it will only take a couple of hours to machine and it has been since this past Spring thad he built the first prototype. I am more than willing to pay him to make it when he gets around to it. Dave is a very nice guy, I have had several nice conversations with him. Given Hipshot's reputation I would hope that this bridge will be purchased by all of us as it will be a direct drop-in with no modifications, so it is easily reversable. After seeing the first prototype (in photos only) we discussed how to improve on it so it would be really nice to see the fruits of our talks.

Do a search for replacement bridge and you should be able to find the photos of the first prototype.
jblakey
Veteran RRF member

Post by jblakey »

Jocke- here is the link to the bridge modification..http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mccorp/4000seriesbridge.html
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Here are some pics of my 2030 with a new Kahler bridge ... this may work on a 4003/4001 bass

rictified

Post by rictified »

Jeff, did that bridge on your 4003/5 come like that with none of the little middle bridge things between the strings? I like to hand mute too.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Yes ... that's one of the nice features of a 4003s5 ... then when you remove those big bolts you have plenty of room for hand muting ...

RIC should make this the standard tail piece ... or at least an option ...
rictified

Post by rictified »

Are those interchangable with a 4003 bridge, screw patterns, size, etc, in other words just a modified 4003 bridge?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The 4003/5 tailpeice is really just a modified 4003 unit. Instead engineering a whole new part with five slots for strings and five holes at the rear for them to disappear into they just took a standard casting and removed parts of it to accomodate a fifth string. Definitely a money saver on their part which also makes it easier to do a five string Ricky bass since the original part is now discontinued. I just did a session on a new 4003 tailpiece with a Dremmel for my upcoming 3000/5 bass and the finished product is exactly as the factory would have done. The bridge was a unique part though and I'll have to have my machinist/luthier make that up from brass and chrome it. I'm leaving the mute in mine though since it doesn't interfere with playing and just plain looks right.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I would be very interested in getting a couple of bridges like your machinist is making ... one for me and one for my friend ... can your machinist make some more?

And yes the 4003s5 tailpice has the same footprint and screw pattern ... it is the same as a 4003 tailpiece missing some metal ...

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdf/19300.pdf

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”