Dallas Guitar Show, April 20-22

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Howard, once again you hit the nail on the head.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Another fine mess you've gotten me into, Aitch... Image

(Ermn, didn't there used to be a topic here somewhere?)
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Just got back from Friday afternoon at the guitar show. Bumped into Peter, Graham, John Minutaglio, Scott Jennings and our buddy DC from San Antonio. After listening to several versions of the "empty guitar case" story, I came to the conclusion that Pete and Graham deserve each other.

I was surprised by the number of Brits at the show. One guy could have been Graham's ugly twin, except he looked just like him. There was a dealer from the Liverpool area who recounted seeing the Beatles play at The Cavern in 1961. Now I'm usually skeptical of things like that, but I'm convinced this was the real deal. And unlike most people who like to trash people who later become major celebrities, this guy said, "They were great!", followed up by, "But then we were ******". That rang true to me.

I got a few details about Pete and Graham's roadtrip across Texas. They went from Dallas to Austin to San Antonio to Austin (Ooops! wrong turn) to Houston to Dallas. They saw strange animals like roadkill, armadillos and "big dogs". I explained that we refer to the "big dogs" as coyotes. They also sampled exotic foods at Denny's and Wendy's and dared to order burgers at a Mexican restaurant. It seems that Pete still hasn't figured out what a tortilla is, and that's a shame because he seems like a real breakfast taco kind of guy.

I plan to go back to the show on Sunday to see the rest of the Rick folks and see if Pete ever gets his guitar...
leesh
Advanced Member

Post by leesh »

LOL! Too funny.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Yep. Pretty funny. You had to be there. I suppose they didn't have Roadrunner cartoons on BBC television, so Pete didn't know what Mr. Coyote looked like. We also discussed clean country living in the north of England with regard to both cider appreciation and rather touching relationships with farm animals. But you didn't hear anything here...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

"clean country living" and Peter in the same post - isn't that an oxymoron?!

Sounds like a really good time down there in Texas!
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I have a few pictures from last night. However, they will have to wait since I must have left my camera/pc cable at home.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Peter also found out that "Chicken Fried Steak" is not the same as "Fried Chicken". Image
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

Great seeing you all in Texas, and a great time had! I'm pleased to say I've slept off (most of) that alcohol.

I picked this up in Dallas, and wanted to share. I'd never seen this ad before, and got a kick out of it. I can't say Rickenbacker was the first guitar that came to mind in the past when I heard a Motley Crue song, but I guess now it will be...

Mick Mars & his Combo 600; must have been from the early 90's:
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

What a piece of junk Image I managed to pick up a Combo 600 walk in today for $1500....................not really John Image
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Randy, that had to be my good friend Frank from Frailer's in Runcorn(two train stops from Lime Street Station). You can believe everything he told you!
alison2112
RIC

Post by alison2112 »

Just back from Dallas....safely home. Wow, what a weekend. So good to meet Randy and Peter and John in person and to see those I've met before. A very cool weekend, thanks everybody!
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

FYI: My band, The Madams, will be playing this Saturday, November 17th in Costa Mesa, CA @ eVocal. Message me for more details or go to our myspace page....THANKS!!
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I had a blast meeting up again with Graham, Peter, Alison, and Mike along with meeting John for the first time. Missed seeing Randy.

Alison got to have her breakfast tacos. I thought the waitress was going to drop the pot of coffee when Alison began conversing in Spanish.

Peter got his guitar and I have an original 12 string Gibson Air Guitar, complete with an Original Hard Shell Case for sale. Image

Memories of the Dallas Guitar Show Mini Confluence
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Larry: Yes, I heard the name Frailer's come up. He seemed very genuine to me. He recalled that Lennon was obviously the group leader/front man and that Pete Best wore a odd-looking shirt. He doesn't recall anything about McCartney from that performance. Paul's mother was a nurse who made housecalls in the area. George was a neighbor who lived on his block.
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Yeah - Frank's a nice guy. We bump into him every time we go to a show now. A big thanks to all our friends we met over the weekend. We had a blast! We left Dallas this morning and headed to Abilene. Mike warned us it was a one horse town - but I'm sad to report, they seem to have shot the horse. So we headed over to Lubbock to pay our respects to Buddy Holly and took a slight detour and ended up at....................without a paddle Image

ImageImage

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”