1983 4001 FG on eBay

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

paul_yan
RRF Consultant

1983 4001 FG on eBay

Post by paul_yan »

1983---last year of the 4001.
What intrigues me is the wavy Grover tuners and the center stripe. Would anyone please confirm 1983 as the last year of these 2 features?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2555185971&category=4713
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Somebody go get this girl!
Lets keep her "in the family".
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

Paul, That is one sweet FG finish. I’ve always liked the ones with the deep coloring. I’ll watch this one closely over the next few days.

Hey Paul! Just vintagized (?) my 4003 JG. Added the toaster and vintage knobs (Thanks to Mike Parks!). This has now become a keeper for me. Looks great and sounds great!

Today is 539 days! The money is burning a hole right now. I could spend it this 4001 as opposed to holding it for the nonexistent 4004.

cheers
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paul: What a beautiful bass. Thanks for bringing our attention to this one.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Paul,
I believe that the 4001 wasn't fully phased out until early in 1986... I was surprised to see Glovers on it though. I thought Rick had pretty much finished using Grovers in the middle '70s.

That is one beautiful bass, in the shade of fireglo I find irresistable. I'd love to put a bid on it, but I'm still waiting for my 350v63 in Montezuma Brown...
Oh, well, Tom Petty did say that the Wai-a-a-ting is the hardest part! Musta been talking about Ricks!!!
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
bassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by bassman »

If I can sell my EB-3 which I listed last night on ebay, i'm going to bid on this puppy.
Now that is Fireglo in my opinion. I hate the newer pink Fireglo that RIC has been producing for the past 15 or so years. Gotta love this one.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Go for it, guys!

Andy,
I'd sugeest spending the 4004 money on this baby first since we don't know for how much longer you'll have to wait until you get your 4004 cii. (Gosh, that'll be 1 1/2 years in a week!) You'll definitely have the money again when the 4004's are ready to ship. I'd really love to see this one stay, again, "in the family". Man, I'm tempted to get her for myself too! But I won't since my lovely wife will be very upset if I do.

Hey, your 4003 JG's gotta look and sound classy with the toaster and vintage knobs. I'm considering putting the vintage knobs on my Annie ('98 4003 FG) too.

By the way, this '83 baby comes with an unusual Rickenbacker case logo which is unlike the thin plate type on the vintage silver tolex cases. Has anyone seen one like this before? Quite a bonus, IMHO.

DON'T LET HER RUN AWAY!!!
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Gene,
Thanks for chiming in.
Wow, I always thought the 4001 was totally replaced by the 4003 by 1984.

The wavy Grover tuners and "skunk stripe" really make this one extremely rare! Love these oddities from RIC.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Paul,
I have a case for a 1984 4003 which I sold that has that logo on it, or rather had it, it fell off, it was glued on! I still use the case for something else and have the logo in a box with other ric stuff.
And yeah, I've heard of 84 and 85 4001's occasionally, and have seen the occasional early 80's 4003 with Grovers on them. I guess they used them when they ran out of the regular tuners they were using at the time.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

That logo is a nice little thing, Bob.
I wonder if there are still some wavy Grovers lying in Mr. Hall's drawer?
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yeah, I've wondered that too about the Grovers, I never seen them on anything newer than this bass though, and I think when I get back I'll put that Ric insignia back on with Epoxy, it is cool and not too common.
stukay

Post by stukay »

My son has an '83 4001 in JetGlo. It has the Grovers and you can "see" the stripe through the finish. The condition of the finish is a bit rough in places but it plays and sounds like a dream.

You don't see too many around these parts ... and it certainly attracts attention when he plays gigs with it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”