Step down transformers

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rictified

Step down transformers

Post by rictified »

Don,
I've brought two 110 volt (120?) Ampeg B-15T's (solid state B-15's) to Perú. (the voltage here is approx. 220) Is there anything I should watch for when using them with a stepdown transformer, besides capacity of the step down transformer and heat from the power transformer in the amp which gets pretty hot anyway on US. voltage, which is close to 120 V at my home in Ma? I can't measure the voltage because I left my multimeter at home. The last time I was here they were very curious at the airport gate here in Lima as to what it was.
toneman

Post by toneman »

Bob; You should be fine. A.C. voltage is A.C. voltage just about everywhere. your ears should be able to tell you if something's not right.
Be safe!! People have a tendency to dissappear in Peru...
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

*People have a tendency to dissappear in Peru...*

Well, some might fall prey to those "Sendero Luminoso" guys... but others get taken up to that place where the Inca went all those years ago!

My first bass was a Rickenbacker...
My best bass is a Rickenbacker...
My last bass may very well be a Rickenbacker
rictified

Post by rictified »

Well the loco Jefes of Those murderous idiots are in jail, (shining path alright, shining right to Diablo) although supposedly there has been an upsurge in their activity (I guess as with all these cowardly terrorist groups of sub-humans who should all be strung up with a tattoo needle and rope through their b@lls and left to hang upside down until they fall off.)
I was laughing with another Gringo friend the other night who has lived here for about twenty five years, stuff like "Dad you want a little excitement? (if he ever comes here) Want to REALLY feel alive? Try to cross that street", etc. And I remarked on how exciting I thought this city was, and he said back "why because you can die at any time in all sorts of different ways?" I thought about it for a second, and said "yeah that's it, LOL, although death by 4 wheeled moving vehicles is way up on the list of lethal weapons in this city. You wouldn't believe some of the Lima manuevers, unbelievable, in the states half of the vehicles and half of the drivers would be taken off the road, right quick.
rictified

Post by rictified »

If I had a dollar for everytime my wife has said to me: watch out for those rateros (thieves) I'd have a Million bucks, and much more patience.
toneman

Post by toneman »

Bob; ever been to India??? We've been twice on tours there. the way they drive would scare the **** out of a dead man.. Between the way they drive and the beggars it's a wonder....so....many close calls when we were being driven around...Certainly no "right of way" for pedestrians. Makes traffic in central London look tame.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I've never been to India Don, but the drivers here are completely crazy too, there is a bad bus crash here about once a month, with many fatalities sometimes. I'm talking about outside the city in the mountains, they either fall asleep and drive off the side, or drive too fast and do the same thing. I will not take a bus outside of Lima unless I absolutely have to, and then I make sure it is a good busline. And there is no right of way for pedestrians here either (there may be a law, but it is completely ignored if there is), I told my wife who is Peruvian about that right after I first me her, and she was incredulous! I told her in the States you can step into a crosswalk and most of the cars will stop, and she said: Oh Yeah??!!! She's been to the states many times, but she's just so conditioned by the idiots here that she never tried it. I could tell you story after story about the drivers here, but I'll spare you until another post. Naa, one more thing, most car horns are completely worn out here in ten years. I told my wife I was going to open a horn repair shop.
Here the beggars are inventive, they sell candy and stuff like that in the middle of the street at intersections, they call them ambulantes. (descriptive name, huh?) Actually there are convenient though, you can buy gum, newspapers, all sorts of stuff right from your car.
Oh I may not have to worry about transformers here anymore, I found an old 70's 220 VAC. SVT head here, I'm going to check it out tonight, they are so rare hear that someone in the band I just joined knows the person who is selling it, and someone in a music store I never met before also knew about the head. The best part is that it is only $400.00. I found this head in another music store on my own in another part of Lima and there are 8 million people here. Hopefully it will not hum when it is on. The tubes look matched (at least in brand) anyway, and at a quick glance they looked like GE's. (probably original equipment, I hope not)

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”