Why Did The Beatles Let Pete Best Go?

The history and music of the Fab Four
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You raise a new and interesting point Brian in your last post. I think you may be right about Pete Best remaining a brief period of time. There can be no doubt that interpersonal conflict has shortened the career and dampened the success of many groups. The friction and "squabbling factor" may have been too much for The Beatles to withstand. In the end, it was similar conflict that ended their career. It is somewhat ironic to me that you are bored whilst raising such interesting points at the same time. Nonetheless, I appreciate your posts and thank you for your willingness to participate. Strawberry Fields Forever!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Well, I M O you cannot ignore the chemistry factor that was there once Ringo was aboard...Pete Best was at the time he was let go a very popular member of The Beatles (especially with the women)----but it didn't take long for Ringo to achieve the status of getting the most fan mail of all four, once the ball got rolling with 'Beatlemania'....I submit that Pete was probably competent in his position, but Ringo took things a bit further and made the whole group more cohesive..a solid drummer plus someone whose personality was more inline with the other three, on and off stage..Maybe it's just a 'drummer thing'.... Image
The_Ed

Post by The_Ed »

Sigh...I guess we're all going to continue with the facade that Pete Best was "adequate"& "talented". Brian - why is his playing on "Love Me Do" not indicative of his abilities. His timing is awful - the essential component of any drummers skills set. I just listened to "Like Dreamers Do" and "Love of the Loved" the other day and I found his style not simply non-descript, it actually detracted from the songs for me. His weak hits, his whimpy drum sound, his rushing and primitive fills all wind up making pretty lame material sound WORSE than it should. Whereas Ringo pumped up some of the earlier offerings, Pete sounds like a friggin boat anchor on Decca. Does anyone know if he even used the bass drum? I went back to the Sheridan stuff and I do not hear it - ever. Oh yeah - another good example - listen to "Beautiful Dreamer" from their first radio show. Again, all over the map, timing wise. That's the kind of cornball camp that Ringo drew together. "Besame Mucho" at Abbey Road w/Pete on drums - Awful....in the Star Club w/ Ringo...it may be one of the hardest rock-n-roll moments of that entire remarkable concert.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”