ALPS Blue Velvet Pots & Angela Tin Caps

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

philco
Intermediate Member

ALPS Blue Velvet Pots & Angela Tin Caps

Post by philco »

One of the pots is going noisy in my 4004L bass. I am considering upgrading the pots and cap, as I would like smoother feeling pots that stay quiet longer. Steve Melkithesian at www.angela.com sells the ALPS Blue Velvet pots in 100K and 250K mono versions for $25 each and the Angela Tin Cap for $5 each in .022uF or .047uF values. I bought some of the old ALPS Black Beauty pots, which look similar to the Blue Velvet pots, and they are very high quality. I bought a couple of the Angela tin caps in 1uF value for input caps for my high end preamp. They seem to be of excellent quality also. They are recommended by Steve as the next best thing to Jensen copper foil, oil & paper caps in sound quality. Do you have any experience with these components in guitar amps or guitar volume/tone control circuits? Steve recommends the Angela tin caps for Strat tone controls, so it would seem they should do well in Rickenbackers also.

My Black Beauty pots really have a nice feel and are very quiet (and should be at $19 each!). They were for my high end stereo preamp. They should work great in boutique quality guitar or bass amps.
toneman

Post by toneman »

Alps makes excellent quality pots! when I worked for Sounbcraft consoles(before JBL bought them. they were a U.K. company) Most of the pots and fades in their boards were made by Alps! I found their stuff to be very high quality! Caps: I use good caps! I avoid like the damn plauge any ceramic caps in guitars or amps. Most of the caps I use in my guitars are audiofile quality stuff like Hoviland & Auricaps. I've heard good things about the Angela's and Jensen's. the guys on the Les Paul Forum seem to really like the Jensen's as much as the old Bumblebee Sprauge's.
toneman

Post by toneman »

Alps makes excellent quality pots! when I worked for Soundcraft consoles(before JBL bought them. they were a U.K. company) Most of the pots and fades in their boards were made by Alps! I found their stuff to be very high quality! Caps: I use good caps! I avoid like the damn plauge any ceramic caps in guitars or amps. Most of the caps I use in my guitars are audiofile quality stuff like Hoviland & Auricaps. I've heard good things about the Angela's and Jensen's. the guys on the Les Paul Forum seem to really like the Jensen's as much as the old Bumblebee Sprauge's.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”