Chris Squire's "Other" Rickenbacker 4001

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

I wish the photo was better, but you can definitely get an idea about how the bass is constructed by looking at it. These days with photoshop and all that, things can definitely appear to be something they are not. LOTS of off the wall instruments came from Rickenbacker during those days, and this one is no exception.
seabass

Post by seabass »

Lefty, which issue of Rolling Stone is it? (I must get a back issue). There is an odd photo in the yellow Yesyears booklet (the one that came with the boxset). On the third page is a photo from a T.V. appearance. Chris (wearing a hat) is playing a 4001S with what appears to be extra-wide binding and a white-ish headstock (you can't see the wings). Could this be the same one? I assumed it was just one of the 'paint-job phases' that his main Rick went through before the final cream color.
As for the other 4001, there is a photo on page 20 of the Perpetual Change book. It looks like the same one as in the Yes Album photo, Astral Traveller video, and the Fragile booklet (up against the wall). Also, the 1977 Yesshows tour book (with Donovan) has two shots of the white 8-string with the weird headstock.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Dave, my girlfriend subscribes to it so it comes a little earlier than the newsstand; I think it was the one with Justin Timberlake on the cover--I posted on this first around 22 January, so it would be right around that time. it is a very small article, but the pic is neat.....

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”