DFW, Texas musicians wanted

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Richard: Thanks for understanding. I just got home from a weekend gathering that includes an acoustic jam session. Although I took a guitar along, I left it in my room, and ducked when the crowd started chanting 'R-A-N-D-Y, R-A-N-D-Y'. Apparently they wanted me to repeat last year's performance that consisted of me singing and playing 4-5 solo numbers before totally blanking out. Some of us just aren't entertainers!
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Well, La Te Frickin' Da!!! I've been livin' in a van down by the river, working so much I haven't even had time to check in here, and what do I see??? You can pencil me in for an inspirational speech if you like, on the house... But keep in mind that I AM living in a VAN down by the river!!!
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Ah, now that I've gotten a little rest, I read my last post and see it coulda been taken as sarcasm, when I was actually really fired up about a confluence right here in DFW! I definitely want to attend, and I'll give that inspirational speech, and bring some Ricks with me! Richard, what is the closest cross-street on NW Highway?
emjayw

Post by emjayw »

Gene, the meet is at the southeast corner of Northwest Hwy. and Ovella Ave. I've been by there, and it should be interesting getting to on a Friday evening. Mike
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me..than a frontal lobotomy!"
drzoom

Post by drzoom »

Hey Gene, welcome! I see Michael has already given you the cross street. Here is the song list we have been putting together, in case anybody needs to work up some of this stuff in advance, so we'll all know the same songs and be able to all play together. I'm just trying to imagine what it will sound like to get about six or eight Rickenbacker guitars and basses all playing these songs at the same time. It could be mind-blowing.

1, Needles and Pins- The Searchers
2. Don't Let the Sun Catch you Crying- Gerry and the Pacemakers
3. Ferry Cross the Mersey- Gerry and the Pacemakers
4. The Waiting- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
5. End of the World- Herman's Hermits
6. Love Potion No. 9- The Searchers
7. You Really Got Me (The Kinks)
8. For Your Love (The Yardbirds)
9. You Can't Do That (The Beatles)
10. We Gotta Get Out of This Place (The Animals)
11. Do Wah Diddy Diddy (Manfred Mann)
12. I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better
13. Mr. Tambourine Man
14. Turn! Turn! Turn!
15. Eight Days A Week
16. It's My Life (The Animals)
17. Kicks (Paul Revere and the Raiders)
18. Tired of Waiting for You (The Kinks)
19. Anytime At All (The Beatles)
20. Jumpin' Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones)
21. Squeeze Box- The Who
22. Lola- The Kinks
23. A Well Respected Man- The Kinks
24. You're Gonna Lose That Girl- The Beatles
25. Waiting on a Friend- The Rolling Stones

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing you there!

Richard
"I play the way I do because it allows me to come up with the sickest sounds possible. That's the point now isn't it?" Jeff Beck
drzoom

Post by drzoom »

By the way, is anybody planning to bring along any drummers or keyboard players, I hope?

Richard
"I play the way I do because it allows me to come up with the sickest sounds possible. That's the point now isn't it?" Jeff Beck
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Richard and Michael,

Thanks for the information about set list and cross-street. Hmmmm, Ovella, that sounds familiar, just can't place it, I'll find it though...
And I'm a keyboard player too, so if you want I could bring keys... Thats actually what I play in my current band...
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

I was in the neighborhood, so I checked out the location. It's on the south side of Northwest Highway, at the back of a deep parking lot. Bachman Lake Park is literally out the backdoor. There is a park entrance on the west side of the restaurant. See you there!
drzoom

Post by drzoom »

Hey Gene,

That sounds great, yes, please do bring keys!

Richard
emswife

Post by emswife »

Hey ya'll... got those callouses all worked in? I know I need to spend the next week working on some stuff. I may just have to break a brand new set of Rick strings for this gig. Right now, I wish I could just find my tuner... damn kid. He's gone through three of them already and this one is marked "Dad's tuner".

By the way, if this somehow works out, there is a venue in Dallas that is for teens that is non-alchoholic. It is called The Door and you get paid by the number of people you bring through (admission is $10 and there is a house/band split). They have all the sound equipment and it is a great place. Maybe some kids would get a kick out of seeing some old folks kickin' it. I know I could my son and his friends to bring a large group from the Richardson High Schools.

Just some food for thought if any of you are interested after the 15th in trying to do this in front of an audience. I am an actor by education so stagefright isn't a problem for me.

Here's a query... how many of you were in bands in your younger days? I was... and our name was "No. 9". Played three gigs... me on lead vocals, three seniors on guitar bass and drums. We were quite the hit... ha, ha. Anybody else?
Also, any feedback on the idea of playing?
"Whatcha ya gonna do now, Rich?"
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Patrick: Never played a gig, but tried to put a band together sixteen years ago (younger days?). I handled lead vocals and guitar with a bass player and a drummer. We rehearsed a few times, playing electric folk from the Byrds and Beatles. Then the drummer left to play 'southern boogie rock' and the bassist had a nervous breakdown. I haven't played electric guitar in front of anyone since (although I own over 40 guitars)...
emjayw

Post by emjayw »

I started in a college band in 1965 at Kent State in northeastern Ohio. Was lead singer of a band called "The Measles" for about six months before I got sick and left the group. BTW, Our lead guitarist was a kid from New Jersey named Joe Walsh. Got drafted in '67 and didn't play much at all throughout the 70's or 80's. (raising a family) Got together with an aquaintance/singer/guitar player in '95 for several high school gigs and it started to take off in '98. Opened for Lou Christie, The Tokens, the Crystals, The Drifters and Sonny Geraci in several venues around the area then decided I didn't want to spend every weekend in some club so I turned to performing with a praise group in my Church. Moved here in late '05, and I'm having a good time playing with the praise group but still want to play some "old stuff" while I still can enjoy it! See you on the 15th. Mike
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

WOW. Joe Walsh, eh?

Life's been good to (you) so far.... (I hope) Image

Nam messed a lot of us up back then....
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
emjayw

Post by emjayw »

Yeah, I've got no real complaints.... I'm one of the lucky ones who made it back relatively unscathed. Joe was/is a real character. We were roomates for awhile and he is responsible for my picking up the guitar. So it's his fault!
drzoom

Post by drzoom »

So the session will begin at about 8:00 p.m. Friday night - if anybody wants to buy any of their excellent pizza beforehand and have supper there, you might want to get there about 7:00 p.m. or so, to have time to eat before we play. This is gonna be fun!

Richard

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”