Custom Built Matamps

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

philco
Intermediate Member

Custom Built Matamps

Post by philco »

In searching for a couple of 2x10 cabs to go with my stereo power amp, I came across the Matamp website. It turns out that Matamp built the classic Orange amps that were popular with top players during the 70's. Matamp was used by such top players as Peter Green and Mick Fleetwood. Matamp and Orange went their separate ways long ago. Orange builds their own amps and sells through dealers. Matamp is still in business in Huddersfield, England, and sells DIRECT TO THE CUSTOMER. They not only custom build your amp to your specs, they tweak it for you after it is built so you leave the factory with an amp that is exactly like you would have built it if you had the Matamp craftsmen's skills. The prices are not cheap, but very reasonable for a product that is still hand crafted in an era of mass produced cookie-cutter amps. They let you watch your amp being built if you so desire. One thing is certain: THIS IS AN UNUSUAL AMP COMPANY. I don't need an entire amp, just a couple of cabs, but their range of heads and combos seem enticing as well. One of their most popular amps is called the Matamp Green, after Peter Green who used their amps on such famous classic songs as Albatross. It is finished in green Tolex. One of their amps, a 20 watt head/cab unit, was one of the most common studio amps of the early rock era, so we have heard the Matamps countless times on early rock recordings. Their build quality is of such high quality to easily be considered boutique, even the early models. Their selection of covering materials is extensive. They even improved upon the build quality of Hiwatt amps, which were considered some of the very best of the 70's. Their turret board construction is patented, and tougher than double side plated-thru construction as used by Mesa-Boogie and others. Their cabs are larger than most others, and that allows the speakers to go lower with more efficiency. Anybody with electronic skills should have no trouble keeping their amps functioning for decades. I noticed that they even shielded the electrolytic filter caps from output tube heat. When's the last time you saw that on something like a Marshall or Fender?

Does anybody out there have any experience with these amps, especially the new ones being built now. I'm looking for some cabs that will be a lifetime investment, just like my 4004L bass.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Philip: These amps look well built and have a great history. For others who may be interested, the Matamps amplifier line is described here.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Right on, Peter. To be so old and respected, it's a wonder that Matamps aren't better known. Huddersfield is in a scenic part of northern England between Manchester and York, so it would be worth a person's time to drop by the factory if ever on vacation there. It seems like they have no intention of being the biggest amp company, just the best and most personal in the old-time English tradition. I read somewhere on the website that they had several examples of amps on site for a person to play in order to form an opinion between the various models. Of course, selling direct means no dealers to try one out locally unless you run across a used one by happenstance. Being built to customer order, I suspect that the selloff rate by owners is very low compared to mass produced amps. It would be a lot like a custom made fly rod or custom made shotgun, as they are usually ordered with an intention on keeping after years of experience has given a person definite ideas on what is required to satisfy their tastes.
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

BTW, the best link I could find for studying modern matamps is the one from the UK manufacturer:

http://www.matamp.co.uk

There doesn't seem to be much information on bass amps, but I hear they produced quite a few of them in the past.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”