Who's the Biggest Chris Squire Fan here?

The genius of Chris Squire
alan

Post by alan »

Facinating thread, I must say. And how it morphed into what it is, I just love these forums. I too, am a huge CS fan, since about 1974. Probably wouldn't be involved in either of the Ric forums without the inspiration I got from his playing. Although the contest has been won, I want to thank Mr Squire for turning me on to the Ric 4001 bass. FANtastic!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Mark, I do not think of poeple who have "made it" as idols, but as folks who succeeded in a way different than what I have been successful at. When I lived in Los Angeles, I met lots of celebrities and movie stars due to the work I was doing there, but to me they were just folks whose jobs are being movie stars, etc. With a couple of exceptions, all of them were really nice, down to earth poeple who were happy when not put on a pedestal.
markbass99
Intermediate Member

Post by markbass99 »

Great post Mark, Roundabout was the first time I heard a rick bass too and it also grabbed me. A couple of years later Geddy got me hooked and I had to have one. There is a theory that C.S. is sort of responsible for some of the changes that occurred to the 4001 during the 70's, right around the time Roundabout appeared. The orders for basses increased so much at that time that they had to eliminate checkered binding due to the time it saved, plus it was getting short in supply. C.S. definitely increased the visibility of the rick bass and put it on the map.
73 Feb 4001, 73 March 4001, 73 April 4001, 73 May 4001, 73 June 4001, 73 July 4001
04 MM Bongo 5HSp, 07 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5Hp, 11 MM Bongo 5H
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

mark-you put my exact experience into words.although i HAVE seen yes scores of times,starting in 1972,i never even thought i would meet or talk to them-and frankly was greatly intimdated by the very idea. chris was my ultimate idol,as i mainly got into bass playing because of him,but i was equally in awe of all the guys in yes. i did finally get to meet them in dallas on the talk tour,and was most impressed by mr.rabin-a very warm engaging person who put me at ease immediately,and i did get chris to autograph my FOOW cd,rather meekly thanking him and jon for so much great music since 1968! i still don't know if i could just hang out and discuss things with these guys-probably would still be star-struck.
'74 4000 White
'98 4004Ci
'04 4004Cii MG Fretless conversion
'04 4004 Laredo FG 4002v57 Custom
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Last Saturdays setlist.
Does that make me a bit of a fan?

(Thats the short set because we had a Pink Floyd tribute band on first.)

Too many basses is an oxymoron
squirefan01
Intermediate Member

Post by squirefan01 »

Pete, when will you guys come to the states and play for us?? Boston eagerly awaits!!
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Thanks Greg.
I spoke to our drummer about this only last night.
Jim Boyle came to my place and we messed around on my basses and chatted about meeting again maybe Stateside.
We really want to come to the States and if we did some gigs there we would have to get the help of the guys on the forum.I am sure that would work and we will look into that for 2008 ....YES 40th!
Too many basses is an oxymoron
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Florida is wonderful in winter Pete!

I'll do some legwork!
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
wayang

Post by wayang »

A long, long time ago, in another galaxy...

I didn't get where I am today by being on time...

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”