Message from Chris Squire to the Forum members

The genius of Chris Squire
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

I'm certainly dashin' toward bald.

Maybe when my hairline matches Jeffrey's, so will my bass chops. Image
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Hi guys,
I am back from holiday and fully recovered from the fractured hand. When it looked like we were going to lose some good gigs because of my accident I tried a long shot with the help of Shawn Luckman and got in touch with one of the guys that has worked with YES from the mid 70s.
Between us we tried to persuade Chris Squire to help us out and appear with SEYES to play a few numbers and save the gig at the Robin 2 in Wolverhampton. It almost happened but Chris was tied up with his recording schedule for the new solo album and it was very short notice to get things organised.As it transpired The robin 2 re-scheduled us for late August and then I went off on holiday. I passed a message to him that it would be great if he could check out this forum since so many of us are fans of his music and of course his basses figure highly in Rick history.
Now that Chris has his Stone Ghost email its great that we can get in touch pretty much as Rick Wakeman has been doing with his site. I am still hoping that Chris will be able to come along and sign records and meet fans at a SEYES gig in the near future.I love the guy and all that he has done for bass guitar and Progressive Rock over the decades.He IS the man!
Too many basses is an oxymoron
levykev
Veteran RRF member

Post by levykev »

hey Pete-

good to have you back! can i ask you... a little off topic here... how do you nail the Squire sound? i was just watching Seyes, "Heart of the Sunrise" to be exact, on YouTube, and you really have it! what's the secret? it really has that warmth... whereas some are just bright and brittle. thanks.
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Hi Kevin,
Sort of off topic but hey,its all Squire stuff!
I think the amp has a part to play in the sound but I have to say its all in the way you dig in and get that attack.
When my hand was in plaster I managed to play at a rehearsal with two fingers but plugged my V63 straight into the desk via a Di box and sat on a chair.
I was pleasantly surprised that the Rick sound was there without my Ampeg or any effects.
As much as anything it goes to show how much of the sound is in the guitar.The CS has that meat to the sound when both pickups are on and you get the aggression with the firm sounding bottom end.
Thanks for the compliment on my sound.
Jim Boyle managed a flying visit last night and we took some video of the CS through my Ampeg in my living room. Good job we have no neighbours nearby!
Jim will do a post when he gets home.
Isnt this forum great that we can link up from all over the world?
I am so glad that we have a dedicated section for Chris, he has been such a major influence on the bass and lets not forget the amazing vocal harmony work that he does.Thank you Peter and Elys.
Too many basses is an oxymoron
levykev
Veteran RRF member

Post by levykev »

thanks Pete. yeah, the CS has such an amazing sound on its own. keep us posted if you ever play here, in the states. (Boston to be exact!)

i appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
rickfan63
Veteran RRF member

Post by rickfan63 »

JH is correct. You can make copies of CD's and DVD's in the US for personal use. You just have to buy the original, and not sell, or try to sell, the copies. Bands do it all the time to learn new material. Selling the copies is bootleging and would NOT be legal.
I recently went back to playing a Rickenbacker bass. Its like meeting an old friend again
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

Jeff, Your a NUT! You have me LOL!!!
All the best,
Cheers
Sean
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

Jeff,
You're... of course!
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter
mfb

Post by mfb »

JH is correct. You can make copies of CD's and DVD's in the US for personal use. You just have to buy the original, and not sell, or try to sell, the copies.

Pardon me for revisiting this.

To respond to your first statement, the response is "no he isn't". Please go and read the copyright laws pertaining to the USA as they currently stand.

And to the second, the response is likewise "no you can't rip into a digital medium to change it's digital flags".

It would be similar to ripping into a Rickenbacker and then making a copy of it, and that isn't nice.

I'm sure the person you refer to doesn't do it because if they did, they would be breaking the law and it would show "how much they know (don't know) about the law", further, I would think that that person would not advocate that anyone here perform illegal activities of that kind, otherwise some of our friends at Sony Inc could be very interested in some of us.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Balderdash again, at least with regard to America.

In the US, the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 (specifically 17 USC §1008 and further decisions clarifying this) allows consumers to make copies of product they have purchased and convert them, say from a CD to an MP3. This is the same act that provides royalties from the sale of blank CD and DVD's to the content owners and I don't think they're ready to give that up that income stream yet.

Feel free to Google "Audio Home Recording Act of 1992" for more information that you may care to digest. However, the RIAA's official statement regarding audio recordings makes their position fairly clear:

"As long as the copying is done for noncommericial use, the AHRA gives consumers immunity from suit for all analog music copying, and for digital music copying with AHRA covered devices. It is important to note that the AHRA does not say that such copying is lawful; it simply provides an immunity from suit."
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

The original issue was not with analog audio CDs, or with antiquated AHRA digital players with that early copy protect circuitry.

Please recall that the original issue under discussion was concerning digital-only video streams on DVDs. The AHRA does not apply to digital video DVDs (which are protected specifically under the overriding DMCA), and it certainly affords zero protection to a consumer or other entity who opens up a copyrighted digital DVD with IFOedit and starts stripping and flipping flags - even if you own a legit first copy and do it only for personal use at home.

Further, the later DMCA legislation superseded many aspects of AHRA, as it did with the even-older Fair Use statutes and the many court precedents following Fair Use and AHRA. DMCA strips away any presumed or perceived immunity from suit otherwise afforded by AHRA. Where DMCA and AHRA overlap, the newer DMCA effectively prevails over and supersedes both AHRA and Fair Use.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
mfb

Post by mfb »

Yes, Elys, thanks. That's what I understood it to be.

I wouldn't say to anyone that they are "advocating illegal activity" unless I was pretty sure of the facts, unlike some that (maybe imbued with some sense of self import), shoot buckshot from the hip hoping to hit something.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Randy asked about CD's- I responded about CD's. Then there's DVD audio as well. Additionally, the US code cited still stands and has not been repealed, DCMA notwithstanding.
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

What if someone made copies of something and gave them away to friends? What's the law on that?
'73 4001 MG '88 4003S JG '89 4003S FG '91 4003S MG
wayang

Post by wayang »

Yeah, what is the law?

All I know is: if I'm ever busted for something I gave away to my friends, it sure as hell won't be anybody else's intellectual property...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”