Message from Chris Squire to the Forum members

The genius of Chris Squire
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I think common sense would prevail here. You don't own the music (you only license it), so it isn't yours to give away.
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

Oh poo!
'73 4001 MG '88 4003S JG '89 4003S FG '91 4003S MG
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

It really isn't yours to give a away Ben. Every copy of something you give away eats into an artists revenue. That's why file sharing is such a problem. I don't know why this whole issue is so hard for some people to grasp. If I want something by an artist, I expect and WANT to pay for it. It costs money to make records and the people who I like enough to listen to their music deserve to make a living off of the music they produce. All of it. After you get your FOOW CD/DVD, e-mail Chris and tell him you're making copies for all of your friends and see what he says about it.
wayang

Post by wayang »

See, part of the big fallacy that is Capitalism is the way people envision things like their 'revenue' as being a real, tangible thing out there in 3D spacetime and coming inexorably their way...doing things like 'streaming' and 'flowing'...and gawd forbid anything getting in the way of that 'river of money'...

There are a few million people living on top of their houses in South Asia at the moment...and a few hundred musicians in our culture rich and famous enough to be constantly worried about who's 'stealing' their songs while they keep getting richer and more famous...and the rest of us sitting around arguing the point and defending the rights of the 'stars'...

In summation, I echo Ben's observation, adding (in the words of William Pitt
the Younger): "Poo to you with knobs on!"

(A disclaimer: this closing line is not directed at anyone in particular, and is added for comedic value only...)
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Oh, I get it. If someone is rich, it's okay to steal from them, but if they are poor it's not. That is pretzel logic at it's best. Royalties are paid to rich musicians as well as poor ones. I also have some problems with the capitalist system, but I belive that artists, as well as anyone with an original, innovative idea needs to be paid for it.
wayang

Post by wayang »

Yeah, but how much? After he had enough money to live comfortably, Ben Franklin quit taking out patents on his inventions...but he didn't quit putting his mind to work to make life easier for others. What a guy...

The real pretzel logic, Dane (man, it's fun to type your name, dude...) is that it's seemingly okay for the rich to steal from me, and I can't even go for a walk without the poor asking me for a cigarette...
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Changing the world power structure, one Rick Resource Forum member at a time.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
wayang

Post by wayang »

Mark, so help me, if you ever use one of my lines in a bar you owe me money...or cigarettes, or somethin'...
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

I'll blaze ya, bro'...Image
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

My "Oh Poo" was an expletive not a retort.
I was referring to a copy of an old Yes show that Peter Greenwood sent me on DVD from a VHS tape.
I don't remember what thread it was in but it is an old Q.P.R. show from '75 and he wanted to share it with everyone. It sounded like it was something recorded by someone unofficial. I just recently got the DVD and was watching it and the quality wasn't that great but very watchable. My wife was also watching and says, "wait a minute...that looks like the DVD I just bought new from Ebay!" This is a 2 CD 1 DVD set called "The Word Is Live" in a tri-fold cardboard like package. I put her DVD in and it was the exact same show but much better quality. I thought to myself...I can't copy this and distribute it to everyone. That's why I asked the question I asked about giving it away. At some point between the time Peter Greenwood obtained his old VHS tape and now this Yes show was re-produced and packaged as a DVD. Anyway...it's a great show and it shows a lot of Chris Squire and his RM 1999. He even plays a Fender Jazz bass on a couple tracks. Good stuff!!! So go out and get it. You won't be sorry. I apologize if I had offended anyone.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Does the DVD have all two plus hours at QPR? I got a similar two DVD set from Canada of the QPR show by itself that may be a bootleg. Quality is pretty good, but I'm not sure. Squire also plays his 4008 on Roundabout and does a shredding version of the bass bridge most of the way through And You And I.
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

Whether an artist is rich or struggling has no bearing on the issue of copying. It's a moral issue. Being comfortable giving away copies of something someone created doesn't make it right. Now, if Chris Squire wants to make a copy of his master tapes and give it to you, that's fine. Provided he owns the rights.
mfb

Post by mfb »

...I got a similar two DVD set from Canada of the QPR show by itself that may be a bootleg.

Bingo!

"...that may be a bootleg", exactly. It becomes ever more difficult to tell, if people go around flipping digital flags willy-nilly on their copyrighted CD or DVD. You get to a situation where you may be paying good money for contraband without really knowing whether you are or not. Take a trip to Bali one day (although I must add, it is not as prevalent as it once was there).

And it's sort of innocent to say "I'm just going to give a copy to my friend ..."; but then the friend gives a copy to his friend, etc., ad-infinitum.

Now, if you were the guy, rich or poor, that created the thing originally, you're going to get a little disappointed. And you're going to talk to your lawyers, and that's going to put pressure on the politicians eventually, and then you and I are going to get laws that forbid that sort of thing. And the law doesn't discriminate on whether you're ignorant of the law, rich or poor, or ... well, maybe it does, but that's another story.
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

Dane...I'm not sure of the total time but there is a part one and a part two. Part two starts with "And You And I" Both parts are on one DVD.
wayang

Post by wayang »

Well, yes...copying is a moral issue. It's just so far down the list of moral issues as to make such a long, drawn out, impassioned discussion as this one ridiculous..."in my opinion", of course.

(Ben...I apologize for perhaps seeming to enlist you into my 'camp' on this topic. I was really just excited to jump on the 'poo' bandwagon...it's an expletive you don't hear much anymore....)

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”