When did YOU first see Chris Squire and Yes?

The genius of Chris Squire
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Alan, It was definitely 1977 and the GFTO tour. I also took pictures and got one printed in my year book in color my senior year. I wonder if YES made everyone's year book that year?
alanz
Intermediate Member

Post by alanz »

Cool!
Listen to that sustain!

Re: When did YOU first see Chris Squire and Yes?

Post by 2112 »

I am so jealous of so many of you. One of you saw the Fragile tour! WOW!
I first saw Chris Squire with Yes on the 90125 tour. March 8, 1984 at the Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont, IL (Chicago)
I've seen Yes 29 times total and I'm awaiting news on the 40th anniv. tour.
I have a few boots of Yes and the one tour I wish I saw was the Going For The One tour. On the boots that I have, and they aren't that good, Jon's voice sounds stellar. What is the best GFTO boot to get? Anyone?
yesmrsquire

Post by yesmrsquire »

The 1st time i saw Squire was at The birmingham NEC on the union tour in june 1991. It was awesome. The 1st time i saw yes was the ABWH at the same venue 2yrs before that. I was a rebellious teenager at that time so i prefered the rockier Rabin yes. ha ha
ram

Post by ram »

December 12, 1974 The Relayer tour in the Civic Center in Baltimore MD.....opened with Sound Chaser - I was hooked!
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Hi Thomas,
My brother and I taped a Yes gig at Manchester Free Trade Hall while they were still putting the Fragile album together.
There were long descriptions of the ideas behind the songs and I remember Chris fending off shouts of "why?" when he explained he couldnt re-produce all the tracks on the solo part at the end of the next song which was Long Distance Runaround.
We lost one cassette but the other half still exists so one day I might transfer it to CD.
After Fragile was released Yes came to Manchester again for a quick tour that only had a few dates up the country as far as Glasgow.
That was the only time I heard them play Southside of the Sky which was an encore if I remember right.
This was one of the gigs played during the recording of CTTE where Bill Bruford described breaking down the stuff in the studio for on Yes Years.

Post by 2112 »

Pete, you're a lucky man.

I was first turned on to Yes in late 1979. That's eons past the time that you saw them at Manchester.
My first Yes album was, well, The Yes Album and then Fragile.
Then the collection grew very quickly after that!
A fan for 28 years now. Not quite long enough, but it's the best I could do.
Heck, in 1979 when I first heard them I was only 13.
Two years later I got my first Rickenbacker and the first Yes tune that I learned was "Parallels".
That song took me awhile to learn. A good start though.
tallpat1

Post by tallpat1 »

I will never forget My first Yes show It was the Solo's tour on June 17, 1976. I had just started college and friends of mine picked me up a ticket for the outdoor show at old Roosevelt stadium in NJ . Pat Moraz on keys for this tour they played TGOD, CTTE, The Ritual, roundabout, etc.. Roger Dean light show! amazing! couldn't stop watching Squire play Sound Chaser. I am lucky enough to have a bootleg copy of the show on CD. They played I'm Down by the Beatles as an encore which was released on yesyears 4 cd set in 1990.
Attachments
13cover.jpg
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Patrick, I saw that tour when they came here to the Zoo. It was an awesome show. I remember PM had a little neon letter "I" on the stage by his piano, for his solo album "The Story of I".

Any possibility of getting a copy of that cd??
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Fragile Tour, 1972-3-10, Winterland, San Francisco with Black Sabbath and Wild Turkey. It was the first time my parents would let me go to a rock concert. It was a slippery slope. Chris working the Taurus pedals, the Rick and singing harmony simultaneously. Was I impressed :shock: Rock was growing up. So was I. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
stevebasshead

Post by stevebasshead »

yesmrsquire wrote:The 1st time i saw Squire was at The birmingham NEC on the union tour in june 1991. It was awesome...
I was there too for my first time seeing Yes, fantastic gig. Not a bad way to see them for the first time, given how many past and present members of Yes were there all at once.

Awaken was something special, and it worked really well with the lightshow too.
tallpat1

Post by tallpat1 »

Sure john send me your info My email is Tallpat1@comcast.net

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”