Why does the R&R hall of fame ignore Yes?

The genius of Chris Squire
jwr2

Why does the R&R hall of fame ignore Yes?

Post by jwr2 »

After a recent visit to the Rock and Roll hall of fame in Cleveland I must say I was very disappointed in the lack of any display for Yes ... bummer ... they don't seem to think 70s progressive rock rates in their hall ...
alan

Post by alan »

It's a cool building, for sure, I went in 2000 for the 60th anniversary of John Lennon. Cool as that was, there was alot more lacking, Yes being one. Seems like politics to me, and that's never good.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

No Yes?
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

IIRC, no ELP, no Steely Dan, not much "progressive" or "fusion" rock in there, so it's not just a slight of Yes. Something we should consider is that there are a lot of "rotating" exhibits in museums of this rank. Someday they may have something on our favorites.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

No Thin Lizzy either. Image
lionheart

Post by lionheart »

That's a good point Jeff (about the lack of Prog in the R&R Hall of fame), but, it always sort of struck me that Yes (along with other Prog bands of the era) are a real "musician's band". I wonder how much of that qualifies as "exhibit worthy" at the R&R Hall of Fame.
Regardless, there are very few bands that have inspired me like Yes has. There's a *lot* of bands out there that could take a few lessons from Mr. Squire and the rest of the band.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Unfortunately, like music award shows, artists in the R&R HOF are often judged on popularity, rather than talent.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

I don't know where you find total sales figures for a group like Yes, but it has to be pretty phenomenal and representative of mass popularity. I would imagine they've earned a lot more money than someone like Eddie Cochran, for example. They took rock into uncharted territory and deserve to be recognized for it.

(By the way, I love Eddie Cochran---no slight intended!)
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

It doesnt seem right though, although I'd never call YES a "rock and roll" band , their music is played on rock and roll stations right along side alot of the RR Hall of fame inductee's.

I believe there's a Motown section isnt there? Thats not exactly R&Roll either.

Besides, I'm sure YES could crank out some serious rock and roll if they wanted too.
"Knowledge is Power"
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

I consider them a rock band. In fact, they epitomize what we call progressive rock or prog rock. They play rock instruments to rock crowds, and they cover Beatles tunes...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Didn't the RH recently induct a hip-hop "artist"?

If that's considered rock, then... Image
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Yes, Rush, ELP, etc... most prog-rock bands have continued to be ignored and I think it's wrong..

If it was me, I would not want my instruments in the same building as Britney Spear's costumes..

As Neil Young said a while back when asked what he thought of the RRHOF:

"...I think it's full."
relayer
Veteran RRF member

Post by relayer »

As I understand it, Yes and their counterparts will probably never get in as long as Jan Wenner of Rolling Stone has any say in the matter. Essentially he has stated that he doesn't like them and the genre (I don't know if it's a matter of musical preference or just a desire for street cred), so that's the end of that. Given that attitude, and the fact that Yes isn't in the running but a group like the Moonglows is in (I love and acknowledge the importance of Motown et al, but come on!), I'd say the R&RHoF is basically a farce steeped in self importance.
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

If you can't join them, then beat them!!!

I say let's start our own Prog Rock Hall of Fame!!!

Notice that I left the Roll out of it. Prog Rock is Rock. No jelly rolls there....no Buddy Holly and marrying your cousin. And no Selling Out to rapcrap or slutney to be Popular and Sell More Tickets....

It shouldn't cost that much to identify enough High Value Targets for funding that would provide us with a true Bicameral Rock Legislative body and a cool building. No more monopoly by Jan and fellow thugs.

I'm starting to feel like Peter Finch in "Network"... oops, there it goes, can't help it now, voices are in my head again, and I'm headed on my way towards the window again to stick my head out and shout..... Image
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
alan

Post by alan »

Elys, that's a great idea! How hard could it be? You could take up a collection from this forum, to fund an exploratory commission......

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”