Commemoration - Your Guitar's Manufacture Anniversary

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

walker
Advanced Member

Commemoration - Your Guitar's Manufacture Anniversary

Post by walker »

I've always been fascinated by the history behind some of the older Rick instruments - who owned them, and what shows they played with them, and so on. So in the tradition of Paul Boyer's and John Biscuti's respective topics which presented a great place for Rick owners to post pics of guitars based on color & model, I thought it would be cool for anyone interested to have a place to offer a personal presentation of his or her guitar's birthday, or birthMONTH in this case. For example, I have a 4001 bass made in July of 1968, so this would be the month to say a few words about it - when & where I bought it, who I bought it from, any additional history of the bass' previous owners, how I've used the bass - gigs & recordings and so on. It's encouraged to offer any other tidbits of personal info that you think the public would find interesting - ie: it was your first Rick, you found it in your deceased uncle's attic, you stopped a bullet with it, whatever. The emphasis of this topic will hopefully be the story behind your guitar more than the actual pictures. So there you go. Have at it. I'm going to hold off on my '68 until next July, which will be it's big 4-0. All anniversaries feel free to chime in whether your guitar is 1 year old, or 50. And let's try to get some of the lapsteel guys in on this, too.

For those not in the know, every Rickenbacker guitar shows the month and year of production within the serial number digits which can be found on the jackplate, bridge, or neckplate. A common format is easily deciphered thusly:

AK 211: A = 1961, the first year of this lettering/numbering system, and K, the 11th letter in the alphabet, represents November, the 11th month. 211 is a production number.

Simple-stupid, right? But after 1986, this alphabet system was modified when they came to 'Z.' Beyond this, it can get a little confusing. For more information about Rickenbacker serial numbers, go here:

RIC serial number decoder

For those who own guitars made before 1960 and may not know the exact month, feel free to jump in as you feel appropriate.

lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Cool, Mark! This will make for some great reads.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
gray

Post by gray »

My 4001 was made in November of 77, so it turns thirty before too long! My 4003, however, is brand spankin' new!

I'd love to know the history behind my 4001, mundane as it could be. Nevertheless, I wish I knew. By the looks of it, there have to be SOME interesting stories. It has the battle scars; I wish I knew the harrowing tales behind them. I already have a few of my own. Well, one harrowing and one good. Of course, every day I own it is another good day.
gray

Post by gray »

Actually, I'll tell the story of how I got mine. Sorry it's so long.

I had to take the 04 4003 I then owned up to Wade's in Milwaukee to get adjusted, as I felt it could not wait. However, I needed a bass to play at a show the next day, and it wasn't a very important show at all. But for some reason, I felt this was the most appropriate thing to do, even though that was my only bass. Sure, there were a few possibilities for basses I could borrow, all substandard. But I did it anyway, and began the hour or so drive home from Wade's, bassless.
Driving down 894 through the Greenfield area southwest (more or less) of Milwaukee, I started thinking that maybe, at 7:30 pm on Friday night, I could find a backup bass. Why was I thinking this at such a time on such a day?
I thought of Music-Go-Round, as I had shopped there in the past. I knew I had a half an hour before they closed. But I knew what I'd find there and knew how substandard those instruments were, compared to my 4003. But it's just a backup, right?
When I got there, I started looking around quickly for potential basses. One of the staff approached me, asked me if I needed help and I told him what was going on and what kind of a bass I played. He asked me how much I was willing to spend and I told him $500. He then suggested a rather nice used Schecter that seemed pretty nice, and it was. A little light, but nice, and priced right. I decided to buy it.
I took it up to the counter to pay for it and there, hanging behind the counter, was a Fireglo 4001. That changed everything. "Oh yeah," said the clerk. "I was going to tell you about that since you said you played a Rick, but you said you only could spend $500." I told him that it's different when you're talking Ricks. It was $850. It had its battle scars as I've said before, but overall, it was a killer price for a fantastic bass. They even stayed open late to let me play it.
Of course I bought it instead of the Schecter, OHSC and all. It turned out that it was the last day they were taking checks (they take them again, but at the time they were having problems) and someone from New York was calling about it the next day. I couldn't have come at a better time, and I almost didn't! If I hadn't, I would never have owned it at all, and now I can't imagine not having it. Only the pickguard and a main screw in one of the tuners was non original (I've since replaced the output jack assembly, as the old one was seriously shot).
This was two years ago next month, and prices started going way up after that.
So, someone was looking out for me that day. It was only by the narrowest of margins and through major coincidences that I was there to buy it at all, and it would most likely have been gone the very next morning. What if my 4003 hadn't had neck issues?

Oh, and if you're from New York and you were looking online at a Fireglo 4001 that got snatched up out from under you at a Music Go Round in Wisconsin two years ago next month, I'm really sorry. Well not really, but I feel for you. Image
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

That's great, Robert. Those near-miss stories are always inspiring. Be sure to post this story again come November - and include some pics too if you've got some.

fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

Although I can't prove it with fact, I still like to believe that my 2006 4003FG was being finished during the factory tour I was in at the DCM weekend.
When you're going throught hell, just keep going. If you stop you'll be there forever.
gray

Post by gray »

Thanks, I will.

And I should add that I'm not knocking Music-Go-Round either. That particular store has sold me some top-notch vintage equipment in the past, and at the best price in town. Until now it was one of my best-kept secrets! But it is my opinion that something like a Johnson P bass copy or a basswood-bodied Yamaha, while fine for beginners and so on, are unable to compare to a Rickenbacker (by which I am spoiled now Image).
I wanted to clear that up, as it does sound kind of bad in my post. I like that store very much, and whenever I'm looking for new gear, I always go there (or Wade's) first. They've both saved me lots of cash and headache in the past.

But I digress. On with the Rick stories? Let's hear them!
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

Can I sneak in a story about a guitar which had it's 40th birthday last month?

I had to run an errand for my wife on Good Friday about two years ago, which required a two hour round trip drive. It was raining heavily and the traffic was heavy.

On the return trip, I telephoned home, primarily to ask Robyn to check eBay for me (yeah, I know, get a life Image). She read out the headings of the newest Rickenbacker listings, with nothing exciting to report, until she reached one which said "1968 425-12". I started asking more detailed questions, as I drove along in the traffic, trying to imagine what this guitar actually was. I don't think RIC ever produced a 425-12.

I needed someone with more specific guitar knowledge to look at the listing, so Robyn passed the phone to my young son, Jeremy, who was aged 9 at the time.

With a little guidance, Jeremy pulled out the Smith book and a Japanese 12-string RIC book I have and cross-referenced the listing details against the books. I asked whether the guitar had one or two pickups, and then whether they were toasters or hi-gains. I asked about the TRC, the colour of the case etc.

Finally we determined it was a '67 450-12 JG guitar in all original condition, with the silver case. I asked Jeremy if he had any idea of what it was worth, to which he replied "about US$1800"!

I asked him what the the "Buy It Now" price was and he replied $1150. I asked him whether he thought that was a good price, and he agreed it was. I told him, "you'd better hit that BIN button now Jeremy!" which he did with some delight.

This great little guitar remains in our collection and everyone who has played it comments on how easy it plays for a twelve string.

Happy 40th Birthday my little friend!

'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Great story, Darren..... and a great little guitar to boot. I've had my grubby little mits on that one and it is a dream to play!! Image
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

That's awesome! Nice grab, and congrats on your "40th." Interesting that Trott Jr. is wel-learned at age 9!

leesh
Advanced Member

Post by leesh »

Both Trotty Jr's are cool kiddo's. His entire family is amazing.
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

I'll second that Aitch, Darrens 450 is an awesome guitar to play, but I haven't tried your 350v63/12 yet!
Trotty, check your emails!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Great story Darren! A loving family that stays together, buys Ricks together! Image
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

Trotty... that's awesome! Isn't it great when the kids get involved? Image

Mr. Salter... hmm, 2 Roberts with Nov. '77 basses? Coincidence? Mr. Hitchcock? Image
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
gray

Post by gray »

Darren, great story! I love happy endings.

Bob, you too? That's actually pretty amazing, I have to say. Surely more than mere coincidence!

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”