Squire's other basses

The genius of Chris Squire
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Vince, maybe someday we can have the opportunity to compare Chris' RM1999 to my 4005WB!

elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

I can't wait to get my 1966 4005 WB back from Dale, to see how thin the neck is compared to my 63 and 68! Image

I think I am gonna be pleasantly surprised, if it is anything like yours, Jeff....
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

JPS, nah, I look like that all the time!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I nominate Jerry Juden's 4005 for the slim neck "competition". Very thin and flat on the back.
vincent_gallo

Post by vincent_gallo »

Jeff, that is a very good looking 4005. i have two mapleglow 63 4001's that have necks so thin they should not hold strings. they both play great and have no neck problems. picked one up in Japan and purchased a seat for it as i was so worried it would snap
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Man,

You guys are KILLING me with all this THIN NECK stuff!

One of these days, I'll get a chance to play a 60's or a pre 73 Ric.....one of these days......Image
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

RMs are really slim.

Even a two year old can play one!
Too many basses is an oxymoron
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

That was Jan 91 the day I picked up my CS.
I wish I hadnt sold DA24 but hey we all make mistakes.
Heres a younger me with the RM.Image
Too many basses is an oxymoron
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please note that there have been two posts removed in which Forum members were trying to sort out a personal issue. The RickResource Forum is not the place for this. Please handle such matters privately.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
alanz
Intermediate Member

Post by alanz »

Too late! I saw the caps-lock-stuck-on post!

PS: you can edit your own posts...
Listen to that sustain!
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

That was just a way of delineating the speaker, one with caps, one without.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Gee - I never even saw the second post. Nor did I have a disagreement with anyone, nor did I intend for anyone to take umbrage and shout at everyone else. So please, I apologize to all the longtime Forum members who got shouted at as a result of a post I made to solicit advice on whether to take a Rick body back to MG.

I basically just wanted to echo that Forumite Darryl Jones' original 63 bass that I now own has a really slim and thin, fast neck, and I have measured it as thinner. I didn't seek any reply except whether I should refin it back to mapleglo (as it was when Daryl first bought it) or leave it refinned to fireglo (as Daryl had done to it prior to selling it).

The point is that Chris Squire did not leave his RM its original color. He has not only had it refinned too, he has had a local favorite luthier in London shave his neck at least once or more times, and it is now quite thinner than it was originally shipped. If I refinned this October 1963 body once more back to its original MG, I would have the opportunity to do some further neck-shaping to make it even thinner.

Since this is to be a "player" bass anyway, I would not want to miss the opportunity to further shape the back, since it has already had the heel sanded off and thus is not original anymore anyway.

So, would anyone like to calmly comment STRICTLY on whether I should take it back to mapleglo or leave it fireglo? The neck needs a refin anyway, so should I shave the neck further to get it more like Chris' RM in its current state? Image
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Why not take it back to Mapleglo so that the features, about which you make comment, can be plainly seen?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

No one shouted, it was a very civilized post. Even friendly and accommodating with an olive branch extended. But like the one it answered, it referenced several details of a thorny personal dispute, thereby publicizing a truly private matter--which makes many of us uncomfortable.

...especially because we can't help but to read every line of it!
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

If you go back to Mapleglo I'd go with an "ambered" Mapleglo for sure....
"Knowledge is Power"

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”