The Doors

Entertainment

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

philco
Intermediate Member

The Doors

Post by philco »

I just bought the latest 2003 compilation of the Doors hits. It is set more or less in chronological order and forms an anthology of sorts. I noticed that is was engineered and remastered by Bruce Botnick, who originally recorded the Doors albums. If anybody knew what they sounded like, he did. So I figured it had possibilities for great sound, and quickly parted with my $25. I AM NOT DISAPPOINTED. As a matter of fact, it is the best Doors recording I have ever heard. The first thing that struck me was the incredible bass. Tight bass with great definition and clarity. I have audiophile speakers that are flat to below even the range of a 5-string bass, driven by high end amps. This is some of the best bass guitar I have heard on any recording! The next thing that struck me was the separation of all the other instruments, making all the lines so incredibly easy to follow. Jim Morrison never sounded so real to me. There used to be an old joke in audiophile circles that you could get great technical recordings with mediocre performance quality, or great performances with mediocre recording quality, but never both. This recording is a happy exception, and it features the greatest American rock band of the late 60's and early 70's, no less. All the great hits are there, as well as many of the artistically great songs. 34 songs in all. The best Doors album I ever heard. Only those lucky enough to have heard them live could have possibly heard them better.

Elektra Rhino R2 73889
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Thanks for the great news and review, Philco!
I have all the LP's but never a CD.
Now's the time for me to get their greatest hits on CD's so I can listen to them in my car!
Does the compilation include a booklet filled with photos?
I trust "The End" is in there too...

Will definitely buy it!Image
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Yes, there is a booklet with several photos. "The End" is there, and it is more extended than on the 1996 Greatest Hits single CD. The only song I miss so far is The Ghost Song, which was released long after Jim died, but I have it on the 1996 release.

Manzarek, Krieger, and Densmore were obviously heavily involved in this compilation, even without having to consult the liner notes. It makes you want to get into a chemically altered state of mind, right from the first cut. Just like when you first heard The Doors way back when. Nobody can paint a mental soundscape like they did. They created their own subgenre of Rock music, and they are still the only band in that genre.
rictified

Post by rictified »

They used the best bass players around including Ray Brown on electric. I forgot the name of other guy who played most of the stuff but he played great lines (especially the ones that were independant of Manzarek's organ bass lines) and had a great dirty flatwound sound. They were (and are one of my all time favorites). He also played on one of the Super Sessions albums with Mike Bloomfield and Al Cooper.
bear

Post by bear »

Bob,

I think that would be the one and only Harvey Brooks then. Electric Flag, Super Session etc.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Maybe him also, he is a great player, but I'm thinking of someone else and I'm sure you would know him too, I'm terrible with names, it's bugging me that I can't remember his name, I think he did almost all the Doors stuff, I'm going to check on the net for that and get back here with his name.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Ok, I can't believe how hard it is to find out who played bass on their albums, but you were right Steve, about Harvey Brooks, he played on "The Soft Parade" one of their most criticized albums, but which I love, and happen to think is one of their best. I will find out who the guy is I'm thinking of though.
big_g

Post by big_g »

Maybe it's Jerry Scheff that you're thinking of, the story that is widely told is that "The Doors" were thinking of making Jerry a permanant member just about the time of Jim's death. Jerry also played with Elvis too.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Bouglas Louban or something like that, the second name is only approximate.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Ok got it,
Douglas Lubahn (2nd, 3rd, and others)
Lonnie Mack
Ray Neopolitan
Harvey Brooks
Kerry Magness
Leroy Vinegar
Jerry Scheff (American Prayer)
Bob Glaub (also american Prayer)
Douglas Lubahn was their first bass player and probably played the most of any of the bass players, I also read an interview on Ray Brown in BassPlayer and he said the he played some electric bass for the Doors.
There were also some additional bass players who played on The Doors two albums after Jim died, but I did not include them. No wonder the bass was good, look at those names. A couple of them were upright players.

Return to “On Stage”