Getting an extremely clean tone?

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rictified

Post by rictified »

I had a 67 black faced dual showman with a middle control, it also had JBL D-130's, I used it for bass, never plugged a guitar into it.
rictified

Post by rictified »

actually it was bought new in 67 I'm not sure if it was a 67.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Bob, my Dual Showman Reverb is a 1969 with its original 2x15" JBL D130F cabinet, and both basses and guitars sound great through it. Your '67 would have probably sounded great with guitars, too.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yeah, it's one of the many things I've sold that I regret selling. I like the sound of those old Fender amps, especially with Rickenbacker guitars.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

My new 660/12 sounds great through my Mesa/Boogie Studio Caliper into my 2-15 Sunn cab with Eminence Delta 15s.
will_lee

Post by will_lee »

Hmm. Maybe I just don't know how to dial in a correct sound on an amp. I played on a Fender HotRod Deville 2x12 and it sounded way too "boomy". I played on a Vox Ac-30 and it sounded really rough clean, really grainy. I played through a mesa boogie nomad 55 and I couldnt even get anything resembling a clean tone from it. Thanks for the recommendations, I'm currently trying to find a traynor to try out.

Does anybody here have any experience with a Fender Cybertwin? Can I dial in all those old fender classic amps through the cyber?
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I think you should try to find a good old Hiwatt. They have one of the best clean tones going. A vintage Blackface Fender amp isn't bad either, although I've always felt the Blackface clean sound is kind of an antiseptic sound.
toneman

Post by toneman »

This maybe a bit of an unusual suggestion but..how about replacing those HiGain humbuckings on that Dakota with a pair of the scatterwound Toaster top "Vintage" Ric pickups. I bet you'd get a much clearer tone & sound with those. My toaster's on my 660/12 are squeaky clean and clear and sound amazing thru any amp I have
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

Will Lee....go to the nearest dealer that has the Cyber Twin and dial in the '65 Twin Reverb...I have one and play my '67 335 through it and it has "the sound"....
1973 4001 MG cb fwi
1986 4003 Shadow
2012 4004Cii FG w/gold trim

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”